Hood Paint Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
what would work best on getting all the oxi off the hood so i can polish and paint it? Ive been using Ultimate Compound with a terry cloth buffer pad. any tips would be helpful. the clear coat had not peeled away or anything like that.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I would wet sand with 2000 grit and buff the hell out of it.

Reaction score
I would wet sand with 2000 grit and buff the hell out of it.

so wet sand with 2000grit paper (going to use my buffer/polisher) then buff it with polish and finish it off with a coat of wax?

wow so just use water and 2000 grit? how much pressure should i use or what?

Reaction score
so wet down the hood, take the polisher with 2000grit paper on it and sand the whole hood using medium pressure? only do it on wet spots or wet the whole hood and just go over it? ive never done this wet sanding before.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I usually do it by hand. Dip the paper in a bucket of water, sand for 30 seconds or so, dip it back in the water and repeat. If your not doing it by hand, just make sure to keep the hood wet while your sanding. If you have a bug shield - take it off and practice behind it first. Not real difficult but I know how your feeling. I usually get nervous for the first time or two myself. Not even going into prom night!!!!1

Reaction score
I usually do it by hand. Dip the paper in a bucket of water, sand for 30 seconds or so, dip it back in the water and repeat.

ill probably do it by hand. so do you do it in small sections or just work over the entire hood until you see a shine? and do you just go back and forth or in a circular motion?