High Pressure Power Steering Hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just replaced my power steering pump and 10 miles later sprung a leak in my high-pressure power steering hose. I was wondering if anyone knew off the cuff if I have to remove the pump again to replace it.

Thanks,
D

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
It's a tight squeeze to take it off without removing the pump but yes anything can be done.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great, thanks y'all. I figured it would be easier to ask then me finding out the long way. :)

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I replaced mine last Saay. Make sure you have some shorty wrenches laying around. The fitting at the pump is a 5/8" and I used a 18mm at the steering box. Best of luck.

Mik3

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 97, I did it without removing the pump and it was cake. I was doing my steering gear while I did it, so the gear was out. But it's still easy to do without removing the pump. Just two fittings which I think at the pump it's 14mm.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definately easy to do.

Also, the hoses last a lot longer if you don't hold the steering wheel against the lock and build the pressure way up. Usually it's the crimp that fails, and the pumps build their max pressure when you're trying to push on something immobile (like the stops on the knuckle).

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. This one failed after 250,000 miles so I'm alright with it. I just wish it did not happen after I replaced the pump and rebuilt the front suspension, by no more than 20 miles ago. Should have just changed it when I was under it.