herculiner my bottom portion of truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NAST96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just recently did this to one of my 96's... I did to the bottom of the molding.... and my bed rails/ tailgate. Would of did my bed but already had a drop in liner. I would agree that prep work is key... If doing in a garage i found it very helpful to wet the floor down before application and crack the door a a couple feet. the wet floor keeps the dust from stirring up and without the door open you will be higher than a kite. I had some surface rust right under the inside door panel (under that rubber flap thing) on both sides. I chose to sand it down and paint it with POR 15. It supposed to be the best paint out there for the buck and you just brush it on. Also did my frame as well.

As for the brushing method... it will be thicker... i tried this on my first coat and did not get the look i was shooting for though... it seemed to "clump" up alot... I just put 9 even coats on 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours between coats... It recommens a half hour but mine was still pretty runny... You will get runs in the bottom of the door/ rockers.. i chose to watch and smooth them before dry.. I still had some and just used a sharp razor blade and cut them off...

Use 3M green tape.. i found it works the best.. Make sure to remove before dry, but not to soon if doing your bed rails that it runs down the side of the truck... Dont forget to tape and cover off above the line also!!! The roller makes little splatters and no matter how careful you are it seems as if you get it where you dont want it. In that case some acetone or Carb & Choke clean and a clean rag will take it right off.

Any more questions feel free to ask

Good Luck!

--Jarred

scharst

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have one side sanded almost completely...the little stone chips are no fun to sand on but its mainly all the surface rust that i ben messin with. i decided to go around the fenders with it as well so i should be done sanding the other side and hopefully completely finish it tomorrw. if it aint to windy out i was thinking of doin it outside so i dont stink up/stain the garage at all. and i am using green 1 inch 3m tape to mask the lines and 2 inch blue to have a little safety room so i dont get it on the wrong side of the tape. using MEK for prep as well.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I do a bedliner I use the tape that has a fine wire embeded in it, it makes for a really clean edge.

scharst

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the first coat on.....im very hopeful that it will turn out nicely. Ive spent two days preppin so it should hold well. Pics cominG soon!

scharst

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started by taking the side strips off my truck
attachment.php

and then i masked with 3m green and blue tape and cleaned it off and began sanding with 80 grit sandpaper
attachment.php

attachment.php

then after i was finished sanding i cleaned it with a hose let dry, then wiped it with MEK for prep and then went over it with a tack cloth and began applying my first light coat
attachment.php

you can tell by this picture that it is a very light coat
attachment.php

i then waited an hour and a half roughly and began applying my 2nd coat which looks like this
attachment.php

attachment.php

and i am now waiting to apply my third coat lets hope i can get done before sundown! finished pics will be posted when i get them! probably tomorrow

Minimeh93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im pretty happy with my Herculiner, it faded a little bit, but its not too bad, had it on since last october and there are no chips or scrapes yet, i used 3 coats and prepped with light sanding with 200 grit paper
You must be registered for see images attach

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I started by taking the side strips off my truck
attachment.php

and then i masked with 3m green and blue tape and cleaned it off and began sanding with 80 grit sandpaper
attachment.php

attachment.php

then after i was finished sanding i cleaned it with a hose let dry, then wiped it with MEK for prep and then went over it with a tack cloth and began applying my first light coat
attachment.php

you can tell by this picture that it is a very light coat
attachment.php

i then waited an hour and a half roughly and began applying my 2nd coat which looks like this
attachment.php

attachment.php

and i am now waiting to apply my third coat lets hope i can get done before sundown! finished pics will be posted when i get them! probably tomorrow
It's looking good!