HELP WITH VOLTAGE DROP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue95z71

Reaction score
Both cooling fans together are pulling 32 amps peak on high. My headlights are only pulling 11 amps but they are both seriously knocking things down. Looks like a load test on the alternator is the next thing on the list....

blue95z71

Reaction score
Ok so I tested the alternator today and its putting out plenty of amperage a day regulating itself like it's supposed to. I'm left scratching my head. When my fans are on and I turned my lights on my a/c blower shows down and my voltage grease drops to 12 volts or below..... Grrrrrrrrr:893Chainsaw-Smilie-

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but have you verified you're voltmeter is reading correctly? Do you have a DC ammeter to see how much it is pulling?

496BBC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the voltage at the sensing wire on the alternator, should be brown, while you have it loaded up. The sensed voltage should control the output of the alternator if all is working as it should. If everything is good there then you have a voltage drop issue with the cables. From what I've read the sensing wire goes to the dash area but I have not verified this.

Neal

blue95z71

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the gauge 90halfton. Still not sure why my a/c blower fan slows down who I turn my lights on but I'm going to try and check the ground for my volt gauge if anyone knows where that's at

blue95z71

Reaction score
UPDATE AND FIX TO PROBLEM!! So, with my voltage gauge still dropping and my blower motor still fluctuating, I decided to tear into my dash.... I found a ground point under the drivers side dash area to the left of the steering column at the dash support bar. two ground wires go to it, one appears to be a 10 gauge and another about a 18 gauge. when I barley touched the screw holding them to the bar it fell out... found a better grounding spot and attached with a bolt this time and problem solved!!!! volt gauge strait up at 14 volts and blower works fine....