Help! Weird Oil Pressure Readings!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freebird

Reaction score
So I am pretty much brand new to this forum. I have worked on Jeeps in the past but recently bought a frame off restored 1989 K1500 w/ a 350 and manual trans. almost COMPLETELY new parts except for the engine, 107K original miles. I have noticed in the last week or so (I bought it two weeks ago) that the oil pressure keeps creeping up and up. Now when the truck idles hot or cold, the oil pressure spikes at 60psi! Every 15 seconds or so it'll VERY quickly drop down to 45 then shoot back up. The weird thing is when I bring the revs up to shift or cruise on the highway, it seems to level out around 45psi. There should be no reason idle oil pressure is higher than oil pressure at a constant (maybe 2000 or so, I don't have a tach) rpms, right? The high oil pressure worries me that there may be a blockage or something. I have also noticed a couple other symptoms as follows:

Seems slightly sluggish compared to when I first got it off a stop. If I try to dump the clutch before bringing the revs way up, it'll almost surely stall. Hills are a pain. unless I bring the revs up it'll stumble a bit or backfire once and perhaps stall. Lastly, when coming to a stop off the highway from 60mph or so, as I bring it to a stop it'll stumble a bit sometimes. These are not so much problems, as they only occur occasionally and are not severe when they do happen, but I can only imagine it's related somehow, since they all started happening around the same time. The only thing I've changed is that the AC system had been evacuated during the rebuild and new hoses and seals and condenser put on, so I took it to a shop and had it converted to r134 and charged.

I searched the web and this forum and I've found low, high, and erratic readings but never where the idle pressure is higher than revving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!