Help!!! Thermostat, water pump or something else???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the drive in to work this morning looked down and temp gauge was at 240 and still climbing, threw the heat on, no heat! Temp hit 260 dropped right back to 170ish (where it usually runs) and had heat again, driving 60mph seemed fine right around 170 got to the center of the next town over soon as rpm's went under 1k started climbing again and no heat hit 260 dropped right back down again had heat kept doing that all the way to work, everytime the rpm's got below 1k shed start climbing, got to work checked it out coolant was a lil low not much quart or less, and no leaks anywhere I could see

98' 5.7 RCLB auto trans 133k on it

Thanks for any help, it's appreciated!

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
If you have no heat that means no water is being pushed to the heater core.
Which would make me think Water Pump. However, every pump (that I've replaced) would leak water when it had failed.

-Truckin'-

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The fact that is was intermittent though tells me thermostat is getting stuck. Try replacing it first, very cheap part.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
If you have no heat that means no water is being pushed to the heater core.
Which would make me think Water Pump. However, every pump (that I've replaced) would leak water when it had failed.

-Truckin'-

X2 about no water through the heater core, which probably means you were low of coolant. I would top it off and pressure test it.

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Gonna top it off (not low by much tho) and pull the thermostat out, and hopefully that's it or I can at least make it home so I can screw with it there, never had a pump or thermostat fail like this before, it was always all or nothing or the leaky pump

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Usually when you turn the heater on and get no heat out of it, it's that you have an air pocket in the system and the air is stuck in the heater core. Inversely if the temperature goes down when you have the heater on (and it blows out hot air) you have an air pocket somewhere. You are losing coolant somewhere, or lost some somehow, but in the end need to top it off since you are probably low.