help selecting headers 97 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattRage

Reaction score
bought my son a 97 silverado ext step side for his first car.. since purchased he has lowered it 2/4, installed a roll pan, and has been working on the interior... he wants to get a set of headers for it but we are not sure what will have the best fit.. it is a 2wd v8 auto with ac and power steering.. they dont need to be fancy he is wanting to spend around $250 for a set.. only requirement is that there are bungs for the o2 sensors.. he is going to do 2 1/2 pipes dumped just over rear axle..

thank you for any help you can give

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run Hooker Competition headers intended for a 1992-1995 Silverado, they're 1 5/8" primaries to 2.5" collecters. Bolts up fine, fitment is perfect no problems. I'd recommend buying locking header bolts with it and using a good quality gasket. I also changed the 3 bolt flanges out for Flowmaster 2.5" ball flanges and that was a great upgrade. I went ahead and added O2 bungs to the collectors (they come with one in a primary pipe on the drivers side but the Vortecs need 2 and they work better in the collectors anyway) at the same time. They're worth the modifications to get them working.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Also note that you may need to swap to 3 wire heated o2 sensors with the headers

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I run Hooker Competition headers intended for a 1992-1995 Silverado, they're 1 5/8" primaries to 2.5" collecters. Bolts up fine, fitment is perfect no problems. I'd recommend buying locking header bolts with it and using a good quality gasket. I also changed the 3 bolt flanges out for Flowmaster 2.5" ball flanges and that was a great upgrade. I went ahead and added O2 bungs to the collectors (they come with one in a primary pipe on the drivers side but the Vortecs need 2 and they work better in the collectors anyway) at the same time. They're worth the modifications to get them working.
What did you do about EGR?

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I ran pacesetter shorties on my 96 they we're a direct bolt on and already had ball flanges on them. They fit great and had the provision for the egr tube. And were only like 160 bucks. But I would suggest quality hardware and quality gaskets, my only regret was not getting the stainless ones because the paint on the ones I has burned off really quickly (which I expected)

Sent from the big block!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I ran pacesetter shorties on my 96 they we're a direct bolt on and already had ball flanges on them. They fit great and had the provision for the egr tube. And were only like 160 bucks. But I would suggest quality hardware and quality gaskets, my only regret was not getting the stainless ones because the paint on the ones I has burned off really quickly (which I expected)

Sent from the big block!
where did you get those?!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
98 Money Pit