Help me diagnose a 700R4 problem? (BAD vibration).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
That's when they should be serviced anyway. Have it flushed an the filter changed then.

I did that early this year, drained all the fluid, cleaned the pan of all the sludge, checked the magnet (almost no metal shavings) and replaced the filter and pan gasket. I've put maybe 5 or 6k miles on it since that.

Edit: worded wrong. Didn't flush it, just changed fluid and filter.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not a flush just a filter change. A flush changes all 13 qts of fluid in the Trans, torque converter an cooler

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Did you make sure you got the filter coupling completely seated inside of the trans? Mine didn't once and it started locking and unlocking and slipping like crazy. So make sure it is. Because i think mine fell off again haha

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Did you make sure you got the filter coupling completely seated inside of the trans? Mine didn't once and it started locking and unlocking and slipping like crazy. So make sure it is. Because i think mine fell off again haha

When i changed the fluid and filter i made sure it was fully seated before putting the new gasket and the pan back on.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Small update. Went with what Chris suggested and completed my tune up. I now have brand new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Putting the new cap and rotor seemed to help the engine quite a bit, i noticed it runs smoother now, but the shaking problem is still there. A few people have suggested my pinion bearing is worn out. I know next to nothing about axles other than mine having the G80 with 3.42s, so is there any way to check if the bearing is good, and if it isn't, how do i replace it?

Also, kinda on topic with the rear axle, would it be worth swapping to 3.73s from the 3.42s to gain a bit of high end torque? It'll spin the 31"s no prob in first or second, but at higher speeds the acceleration is horrible.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 92 with 235k with the same problem. It's NOT a miss. For me the shudder only happens in OD under a particular set of load conditions (i.e. climbing a slight hill at high way speed). If I "ride the shudder" (helo term) the TC will unlock. I usually just give it more gas to downshift or less gas to reduce load. I intend to do the trans cooler line drain and fill/filter change soon, with fingers crossed. Also, I have the 3.73 rear and I am very pleased with it. Aside from my shudder problem, I have no complaints about the high end. I dropped the cat and put in a straight pipe, and I had a night and day difference in performance in general. Of course we're talking about a 22 yr old pickup too. A new cat would have probably had the same effect.

Last edited:

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the converter clutch is worn out, it would be best just to put a converter in it. The shudder fix and new fluid really won't help as much on a 700. They have a paper lining on the converter clutch. In 95 they started with the carbon and woven clutches. That is when the shudder fix came popular. They were known for slipping because of the PWM strategy. But on a 700R4 converter slip, its best just to put another converter in. Converter is around $100.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
79garage