Help! Ignition 40 amp fuse keeps popping after motor swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whytry

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
judt finished motor swap of 5.7 to 5.7 99 burb. Ignition fuse keeps popping and truck won't start. Help

whytry

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the crazy part. I don't see a wire pinched anywhere. I checked and there are 3 grounds. One from battery to motor motor to frame and the motor to frame but it's a strap and all 3 are on solid. Only other wires are power to alternator from battery, to fuse panel under hood and down to starter and none of them are loose or anything.

It hasn't popped it when its in 'on' position just when I go to crank it. Count to 3 it pops...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is extremely common to pinch the wire going to the starter solenoid between the bellhousing and the block. You might want to double-check that.

whytry

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so no luck on the starter solenoid wire. It's free and clear the whole path. I've rechecked all grounds and they all look good and tight. Alternator wire isn't rubbing or anything. Any other ideas? I'm almost at a loss.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so no luck on the starter solenoid wire. It's free and clear the whole path. I've rechecked all grounds and they all look good and tight. Alternator wire isn't rubbing or anything. Any other ideas? I'm almost at a loss.
Are you 100% positive? Mine was doing this exact thing and it was the solenoid wire pinched between the bellhousing and block. I'd check for continuity to ground at the fuse while someone turns the key to start. That wire is in a really hard place to trace. It'd be really easy to miss something.

whytry

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok I'll check that. But to be sure I have to have someone crank it while I'm checking it correct? N how can I make sure I get a read before the fuse pops?

Thank you

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What they said, it's a pinched wire. It's the only thing that makes sense unless you changed your harness or something like that