Help: High Mileage Full Synth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corster

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently purchased at 2000 2500K CC with 105K on the OD. Has the 5.7 that was replaced at 65K on the OD.

Recently had work done on it and took the opportunity to get the oil changed. While taking another car in, I realized they had put the high mileage full synth oil in the truck. Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem for these engines?

Thanks,

Curtis

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll be fine, motor oil is motor oil. If anything, you got something a little more viscous, so you might see slightly higher oil pressure. I'm pretty sure these engines will take just about any oil you throw at them, it's not a German sports car that needs zero weight. lol

mistaake

Reaction score
I use O'Reilly Full Synthetic High Mileage in my 5.7, and it seems happy. No leaks or consumption. These engines aren't very picky - you could put any 5W-30 from any brand (conventional, synthetic, blend, high mileage) and it would be OK. I chose synthetic because it gives me piece of mind when I'm driving my beat up old truck like it's a Ferrari :D

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I've ran 10W30 high mileage Pennzoil in my truck with no problem only because it was what the PO
s ran. I switched to Amsoil 10W30 at 155K with no issues, almost 158K on my Vortec 454 now; the only real issue that I have is the oil pressure isn't what I'd like it to be.

To echo what everyone else is saying, as long as it lubricates, these engines don't care much

It also helps to run a good filter; Wix/Napa Gold brand are all I use on my truck.

Corster

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am coming off my 2012 Malibu 2.2 eating a timing chain and destroying the entire engine - luckily under warranty, full engine replacement. That car requires the 6K mile oil, and is now leaving me with some doubts.

Thanks for the reassurance.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use to mix oil just to see what happened.
Found out as long as it's clean and you change the oil and filter at a regular interval they don't care.
I've ran mix of 20w50 and 5w30. Then 5w40 and 15w40 and lucas oil stabilizer... engine has 410k miles on the bottom end..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use to mix oil just to see what happened.
Found out as long as it's clean and you change the oil and filter at a regular interval they don't care.
I've ran mix of 20w50 and 5w30. Then 5w40 and 15w40 and lucas oil stabilizer... engine has 410k miles on the bottom end..

Damn, original bearings and rings?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. I did put cam bearings in it when I put a new cam in a few years ago.
It's a 6.0 LQ4 tho. I should have mentioned it in my other post.
All I run now is Delo synthetic 5w40 diesel oil.
It does burn a little oil now but it's been a good one. Still spin it up around 7000 paying in the mud.
Damn, original bearings and rings?

Denny 1991

Reaction score
I agree motor oil is motor oil. The biggest difference for synthetic is that it maintains viscosity gradient longer than standard oil. I have 220k on my '81, no leaks!