Help!! 98 5.7 timing!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't seem to get my timing down to 0 degree's I'm thinking I have the body of the distributor in wrong. Looking at the top of the engine which side is the wire plug suppose to be on?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you using a scanner to read the CMP retard offset? IIRC the connector will be roughly at 2 o'clock when observing from the top of the dist, give or take some.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I'm using a scanner. That is where I'm at is about two with that I guess I'm still off I can't get it below 14 degree.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
remember you also want to be checking the value when the engine is at or slightly above 1k rpm. if you're doing that and still can't get it, you might be a tooth off or something.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I'm checking it right at 1000 rpm. Now if I'm 15 plus then I need to go counter clockwise right?

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the thing in the scanner I want to look at to set the distributer cmp retard? I'm thinking it is since now I'm not getting the 1345 code but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the thing in the scanner I want to look at to set the distributer cmp retard? I'm thinking it is since now I'm not getting the 1345 code but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

Yes, that would be it.

Canada RCSB Mike

OBS is what I like!!
Reaction score
popcorn501

Yeah I'm using a scanner. That is where I'm at is about two with that I guess I'm still off I can't get it below 14 degree.

I a little slow in the smart side of these trucks!!!lol
What type of scanner are u using?
I think my timing may be slightly off, and would like to check. Are u able to rent scanners?
thanks in advance