Hello

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Joined up looking for tech info and used parts for the wife's 'new' truck.

~6 years ago it belonged to my brother and it began swallowing coolant into the oil pan. He replaced the intake gaskets twice because of how common they seemed to cause this but still the same problem after short running time.

5 years of sitting, he decided he was never going to do anything with it and offered it to me.

I told my wife if she wanted it we'd have to get rid of a car (5 is all I can handle, as I don't trust shops to do anything all maint. is done by me). So the plan was to sell my wife's / our 2001 chevy blazer 4x4 and got to work on the tahoe, pulled the heads and had a machine shop check them out, he found a BHG on passengers side, then found a crack in that head.

So the order went into summitracing for new vortec heads, rockers, pushrods, lifters, problem solver intake gaskets, head gaskets, head bolts, GMPP MPFI conversion kit, dist cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, thermostat housing, coolant quick connect fitting, etc etc etc. I'm a ford guy for the most part but I did my research on what to replace at the same time.

It took about a year for me to get it running, but the truck was 400 miles from me, and I could only work on it for 1 day out of my 3 day weekends I would spend up there, so I only put about 12 hours of labor into the truck over that time.

Runs like new now, looking to get the rest of the truck into a condition that's acceptable to me as I'm super **** about taking care of our cars.

Here's some pics of the truck-
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The things that bothers me the most on the truck that need attention now is the a/c doesn't work, the headlights look goofy - however they work awesome as my brother did a projector HID retrofit into them, the cutoff line is perfect they just don't line up with the grill at all and I haven't been able to aim them, the adjuster screws above the grill don't seem to do anything, and poking around behind the parking lamps I can't see any other method of adjustment other than taking the headlights out and using spacers.

Also, it's a Tahoe Sport, but it has the GMC grill and chrome front bumper from my old truck, funny story my old `97 Sierra RCSB was totalled back in ~2003/2004 and a month later while the insurance was still dealing with totalling my truck (I was rearended on the freeway while stopped by a truck going ~40mph), my brother neglected to deal with an ABS problem on the tahoe and put the truck into a K-rail on the freeway to avoid hitting stopped traffic. So the front end parts are all incorrect, I can't find a sport grill and bumper anywhere, just the paintable black parts...I want the matched charcoal parts!

So there's my story, hopefully now that I submitted an intro the mods will approve my posts in the tech area's.

Last edited:

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've done some work to that Hoe.

Welcome to the site and keep us updated on what you do to it!