Hello From Seattle Area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93K1500BURB

Reaction score
Glad to find a place that can I can possibly get some advice for repairs that are beyond my knowledge.
I have a 1993 Chev. Suburban Silverado K1500 5.7. I'm a Newbie so hope this is where I can ask advice. Please let me know if I need to be somewhere else to post Newbie questions. Small issues, but having problems even with all the OEM manuals at hand.
#1 Tripometer has a mechanical issue, most likely a broken gear. After reading some posts here, I now realize I shouldn't had been resetting the tripometer while moving.
Can new complete tripometer units be purchased or new parts be found anywhere or am I out of luck? Very few wrecking yards left in my neck of the woods anymore, especially for older American vehicles, too many environmental restrictions around Seattle area.
#2 My Control panel for the Heater - A/C on the dash had the lights dim to the point it's not readable. Guessing burned out lamps or a bad ground. I've taken the unit apart thanks to a few YouTubes and removed the lamps. From threads I have read here you'all are saying they are 4mm which is what I also measured on the outside diameter of the plastic lamp holder. Question: can anyone tell me what the size# (like 74, T-5, or NEO?) or part number for the lamps do I need to order? I would like to stay with the OEM incandescent lamps. All help will be much appreciated! Thanks

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to find a place that can I can possibly get some advice for repairs that are beyond my knowledge.
I have a 1993 Chev. Suburban Silverado K1500 5.7. I'm a Newbie so hope this is where I can ask advice. Please let me know if I need to be somewhere else to post Newbie questions. Small issues, but having problems even with all the OEM manuals at hand.
#1 Tripometer has a mechanical issue, most likely a broken gear. After reading some posts here, I now realize I shouldn't had been resetting the tripometer while moving.
Can new complete tripometer units be purchased or new parts be found anywhere or am I out of luck? Very few wrecking yards left in my neck of the woods anymore, especially for older American vehicles, too many environmental restrictions around Seattle area.
#2 My Control panel for the Heater - A/C on the dash had the lights dim to the point it's not readable. Guessing burned out lamps or a bad ground. I've taken the unit apart thanks to a few YouTubes and removed the lamps. From threads I have read here you'all are saying they are 4mm which is what I also measured on the outside diameter of the plastic lamp holder. Question: can anyone tell me what the size# (like 74, T-5, or NEO?) or part number for the lamps do I need to order? I would like to stay with the OEM incandescent lamps. All help will be much appreciated! Thanks
Welcome! Im also in the Seattle area.
I cant answer your questions but for boneyard parts.
Pick n pull in Lynnwood, Tacoma, and Lacey usually have some GMT400s Also in Arlington or Vancouver but that is a pretty long drive.
Check the online inventory every now
and then.
Especially after a good snowstorm.
A lot of these trucks get wrecked when it snows.
When you see a new one show up, go pluck it like a chicken.
Dont forget to look under the seats and in the rear cab pockets.
Also look in the box where the jack is.
Ive found several OEM spare parts in those spots.
You just gotta beat me too it!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum !! There is an incredible wealth of info here.

@thinger2 - Love it !! Pluck it like a chicken. LOL
Yep. finding somebodys old gm factory spare parts in a wreck is like finding gold.
A few times a year we take junk roadtrips.
Thats where I stop at every junkyard and strip truck parts and my wife stops at every antiques store.
If there was a salvage yard with an antiques mall and a bar that served some BBQ...
I dont know if we would ever make it home.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yep I think BBQ or Cajun food or really good Mexican food, most of us would be in that situation!
I used to know a guy from central Michigan; he and his family would come to Texas in November and December for the swap meets. He swore there was no good Mexican food north of Oklahoma, and they'd eat it as much as they could ( along with whataburger) when they came. This was in the 80s and 90s so I'm sure the restaurants are more diverse and better now.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep I think BBQ or Cajun food or really good Mexican food, most of us would be in that situation!
I used to know a guy from central Michigan; he and his family would come to Texas in November and December for the swap meets. He swore there was no good Mexican food north of Oklahoma, and they'd eat it as much as they could ( along with whataburger) when they came. This was in the 80s and 90s so I'm sure the restaurants are more diverse and better now.
In the Northwest we have "Taco Time"
The most bland boring and tasteless "Mexican" food ever invented.
My cat has eaten the "Hot Sauce"
They specialize in "Mexi Fries"
Those are tater tots with a gentle waft of chili powder.
For the "authentic" mexican food, they go to Azteca.
They think baby back ribs at applebees are good BBQ.
We do seafood very very well up here.
And any type of Asian food as well.
But I would have to drive at least to LA to get decent mexican food and the closest good barbeque from here is a drive to Texas.

Jayboney

Reaction score
I have had good luck with Budget Truck Wrecking in Auburn. It's been a couple years since I've been down but they always have a lot of Chevy OBS trucks in the yard. Also don't think of Taco Time as "Mexican" any more than Taco Bell. But it IS damn good fast food!