heavy tapping at cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mines making that noise, but i have no oil pressure unless im reving the engine, any ideas?

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine just does it when idleing, just did the head gaskets and everything, took awhile to get it all working, not sure if i did something wrong, or if something else just went

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it IS a lifter or valvetrain tick/tap and not a rod or main bearing, I wouldn't worry about it if it goes away with time. My Burb has 260k miles and ticks for a few seconds on startup, which apparently is perfectly normal. If it's really cold and it continues longer than that, I wouldn't be concerned. If it continues to tick and tap, and doesn't go away, then you're probably right about the necessity for new lifters, as the valvetrain is not adjustable. Be sure to check the condition of the rockers and pushrods, as then can and do wear over time, and are fairly cheap to replace while you're in the motor.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's also important on a flat tappet cam to make sure that if you remove and reuse existing lifter's that they go back in exactly the same place that they came from!

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im using 10w 30, figure it will leak slower, not sure if that mixing with the moly grease i put in, would that make it too thick that the oil pump couldnt pump it at idle?
or might some engine treatment help
my dad was saying that theoils now dont have additive or something like they used to, said try diesel oil, cuz that still has the stuff you need if its not rollor

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are phasing the stuff out in diesel oil too from what I've heed. I run it in my 78 though. I'm also running some in the 98 right now. Didn't affect my noise one bit. So if yours sounds like the video in this thread don't count on diesel oil helping....

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were too thick for the pump to handle it wouldn't get better by upping the RPM. Sounds like you have a bearing clearance issue or a pump issue. The heavy diesel oils have lost their sulfur and ZDDP just like the automotive oils, so that's not going to help anything. Running a 40 weight oil may help, but low oil pressure is a result of mechanical issues, not thin oil.

redchev20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok guys im a newbie to this site but i searched it and couldnt find my answer. not saying it hasnt already been answered, but i cant find it..
when i start my truck first thing in the morning or after it has been sitting for awhile it "taps" for a few seconds and then fades away. its been doing this for a few weeks. until today, i started it and it "tapped" for over a minute even after i pulled outta the driveway with it it was still tapping! so im very concerned,, i change the oil very often. more often then its needed. i always put lucas treatment in it. my truck is a 1998 with a 350vortec, it as 258k miles on it (i know alot thats alot!) my dad tells me its prolly the lifters but i shouldnt adjust em, i should just buy new ones. and my uncle tells me i can just adjust them. both are mechanics.. so i turn to you guys lol. thanks for reading all this and thanks in advance for any help!!!

are you sure your not hearing your piston slap? vortecs run very short piston skirts and when they get higher miles on them they will "slap" the walls until they warm up they expand. im from minnesota and we have 3 vortecs with all over 150000. in the winter this is avery common noise because of the cold.