Heated O2 Sensor conversion now P Brake light stuck on, what did I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martin Taylor

Reaction score
So, I think I hit the wrong wire, but I need to figure out what wire I hit and where the one I wanted was.

I'm doing the heated O2 sensor conversion (1-wire to 3-wire) on my 91 TBI k1500. I put on short headers and the bung is on the driver's side.

Now, I ran the signal wire correctly because that was straight up to the old purple wire and I used the original connector.

Then I went to the only bundle of wires that was within read which were routed inside the driver's side frame rail. Inside this bundle of wires there was 1 each of Dk. Grey, Lt. Grey, Green, Yellow, and Blk/White. Based on the Chilton and the Haynes manuals I was looking for something either Grey or Blk/Pink but neither of them showed the wire I had in front of me. So, I took a wild guess, spliced into the Lt. Grey one, and ran the other one into the Blk/White for a ground. The next nearest bundle of wires was the one that went over the transmission and there was no way I had enough wire to reach that, or a safe way to route it.

Got in, started the truck, and now my parking brake light is on. Except it's not all the way on, it's just on dimly and it lights up bright if I engage the parking brake.

Now, all the wires I was looking at run along the frame rail to the fuel tank and then up and out of sight. The manuals seem pretty useless as far as accurate schematics go so can someone tell me what I spliced into that would make it do that? I thought the parking brake light switch was in the cab by the pedal?

Also, did I just fry my new O2 sensor?

Thanks.