Headgasket rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nator97

Reaction score
Ive got a 97 Tahoe with the 5.7 350 and i had a head gasket blow in april. ive got the new gasket kits and put on i just need some help tightening the rocker arms. im not the person who did the work and i have no clue about fixing it. Have any ideas on what i should do or would anyone be willing to help. I live 15 miles east of St. Louis Mo.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortecs don't have adjustable rockers you just need to torque them to the correct spec. Pictures of what you are dealing with would help us to understand.

senja

Reaction score
Best thing to do is go buy a Haynes Automotive Repair Manual. get the one that specifically for you year and model truck. Inside, they will walk you through the process, with pictures. Haynes is really the "bible" for your truck. It shows you everything you will ever need to maintain your vehicle. By the way. Don't get confused with other peoples' advice, expecially when they don't know what they are talking about. i.e. torque. There is no torquing involved in valve adjustment. i.e. rockers, adjustable. The rocker arms are not adjustable. They never are. But you use the rockers to set the valve lash and clearance. Haynes will show you all about it. Go for it!

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best thing to do is go buy a Haynes Automotive Repair Manual. get the one that specifically for you year and model truck. Inside, they will walk you through the process, with pictures. Haynes is really the "bible" for your truck. It shows you everything you will ever need to maintain your vehicle. By the way. Don't get confused with other peoples' advice, expecially when they don't know what they are talking about. i.e. torque. There is no torquing involved in valve adjustment. i.e. rockers, adjustable. The rocker arms are not adjustable. They never are. But you use the rockers to set the valve lash and clearance. Haynes will show you all about it. Go for it!

You are right I was thinking about the rockers on the LS stuff. I second the Haynes Manual excellent advice.