Having troubles with my hids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've been driving the truck pretty regularly now that the cold weather is here and I just took my car off the road. The other night I was leaving work and I turned my headlights on and my hids didn't fire up. I switched them on and off a few times and they still didn't fire. I popped the hood and jumped out of the truck, the parking lamps were lit but the hid's weren't I looked under the hood and everything was plugged in. I double checked the connections and still couldn't get anything. It was late so I said the hell with it and got back in the truck. I turned the high beams on and they worked no problem(regular halogen). I drove home and said **** it I will deal with it in the morning. Fast forward to today....I jump in the truck, fire it up, and the hid's come right on...okay I say and I drive to work. Later on at work a guy comes in and asks if I could give him a jump. I say okay and head outside fire up the truck and pull up to his. When I jump out to hook up the trucks I notice my passenger side hid is out but my driver's side is lit. I say wtf to myself jump his truck park mine and go back into work.

Then I leave for work for the night fire the truck up and can't get the hids to come on. I flick the high-beams on and then off and the hids fire up. I say okay cool and drive home. I get home and decide to mess around with them some more. Seems the only time i can get them to fire is if I turn the headlight switch on flick the highbeams on and then back off. This works about 95% of the time. Does anyone have any ideas what the hell is going on? I have the hids wired up through a relay harness so they draw directly from the battery. They worked great for 2-3 weeks and now I'm having issues. If i had a bad ballast would it cause these issues? I figured a bad ballast would only cause one side not to fire. It seems when they don't want to fire both sides won't fire, except for when I gave the dude a jump only the driver's side fired that time. Anyways to test a ballast? I have a lifetime warranty through ddmtuning so I'm hoping I can get it replaced hassle free but I'm not sure exactly what is wrong. I'd definitely like to get it squared aways before the temps here really start to plunge.

Sorry for the long read but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. I have tomorrow off so I'm going to dick around with it some more but I wanted to see if anybody had any input on what the hell could be my problem.

THanks

garagemethods

Reaction score
you may flip the connection on the ballast where the stock connection goes in. these trucks most commonly have reverse polarity on the headlights. don't know if it would work but you may try. i as well have had this problem maybe 3 times; i start the truck up, no headlights, then put my steering wheel down to drive then they come on...

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you may flip the connection on the ballast where the stock connection goes in. these trucks most commonly have reverse polarity on the headlights. don't know if it would work but you may try.

If he had his plugged in wrong, they wouldn't have ever come on in the first place. They work sometimes, so his polarity is correct.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see how it could be polarity since they do fire up sometimes. It really has me puzzled

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm lost too. I don't know much about electrical stuff, so I can't give any real insight.

My first thought was that you might need a relay harness, but you said you've already got one, so that idea's out.

I was thinking bad ballasts, but what are the odds that both would be going bad at the same time like that?

The headlight switches on these trucks are notorious for going bad. I was sort of thinking that maybe your switch is beginning to go bad and the HIDs being so sensitive might not be getting the signal when you turn them on. But then again, I would think that having the relay harness would somewhat bypass those issues.

Have you checked the fuse in your relay harness and maybe check the connections on it to make sure it's getting a good connection?

Just shots in the dark. That's all I can come up with.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Beef up, and/or add additional ground wires to the lighting harness.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
aka the relay harness ddm sent me? It already has a beefy ground going to the battery. I"m going to investigate more sunday when I have a day off to look into it. Thanks for the input guys I'll keep ya posted on what I find.

Clutch1819

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine was doing somethin similar. I replaced the headlight switch and the drl relay, which in mine, a 98, the headlights use the relay labeled as the drl. i also pulled the drl module so mine wouldnt be on during the day. Like above, check all your connections. and as for the ground, take it off the battery and ground it on a fender bolt or the frame. thats what ive always been told.