Has anyone tried this throttle body?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

senja

Reaction score
I have a Holley 502-6 throttle body. What a waste of money. It does nothing except run real rich. When I installed this, I "ported" the two intake ports of the Edelbrock manifold. In theory, it should have worked great, except it didn't. I've listened to some of the other people on this website and they do some calculations and tell me the amount of intake area is way more than what the engine needs, i.e. the TB throat bores are too big. And then to put it on top of the bored out manifold didn't help any either. I talked to the Holley people and tried to get some kind of information as to how to set up the 502-6 or anything, or something. They told me absolutly nothing. They provided zero help. The best I can come up with as why Holley makes this TB is that it must be for a much larger engine and / or it's for a full-on race application. If someone wanted to go racing, you would never use a TB setup anyway.
I think the idea of making the intake bores and manifold runners bigger is a game of self defeat. Reason: I have a set of AFR 180 street cylinder heads, and when I was shopping for aftermarket heads AFR convinced me the smaller runners are better, and the larger runners actually hurts performance. They say the smaller runners makes the air/fuel increase the speed through the runners...and increase performance. I'm guessing this is the same principle with the 502-6 TB. It's too big! And of course, Holley was no help when I asked them who or what is this TB designed for. Who's your market? Zero. Advice? Save your money.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't waste your money.those two inch bores are the same size as the big blocks. Not needed unless you got a built stroker or something it's not needed. If you need more fuel and air then just get a external fuel regulator and a block off plate for the tb and turn up the fuel pressure.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Holley TBI units are nothing but trouble, get a good TBI from a junkyard send it off to SPR performance they will mod it to your needs and clean it up etc. and will be just like new

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have two stock TBs as it is, I was just curious if its worth it to try the Holley out.

Plans for my motor are Vortec heads modded for more valve lift and 1.5 ratio roller rockers, this cam: COMP Cams 12-366-4; (Lift: .520/515" with 1.6 ratio rollers, [email protected]" valve lift: 224int/231exh, 113LSA)
and an intake manifold, haven't decided what I'm gonna go with there yet.

If all of this works out, might buy an old junked 350 and rebuild the bottom end, then switch everything over to that motor and drop it in.

How does SPR Performance compare to CFMtech's throttle body?

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have two stock TBs as it is, I was just curious if its worth it to try the Holley out.

Plans for my motor are Vortec heads modded for more valve lift and 1.5 ratio roller rockers, this cam: COMP Cams 12-366-4; (Lift: .520/515" with 1.6 ratio rollers, [email protected]" valve lift: 224int/231exh, 113LSA)

If all of this works out, might buy an old junked 350 and rebuild the bottom end, then switch everything over to that motor and drop it in.

They have an Ebay store you can buy pre modded ones have a few different ones, and it depends on what the find what you get for in terms of tps, so I got one off a 95, sent it to them they cleaned it up, bushed the throttle shaft, modded it (thinned throttle shafts, knocked the horns off, and part of thinning the shafts put new screws in the plates) I sent the injectors off to Witchunter, SPR is prolly the same as the other just cost less

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They have an Ebay store you can buy pre modded ones have a few different ones, and it depends on what the find what you get for in terms of tps, so I got one off a 95, sent it to them they cleaned it up, bushed the throttle shaft, modded it (thinned throttle shafts, knocked the horns off, and part of thinning the shafts put new screws in the plates) I sent the injectors off to Witchunter, SPR is prolly the same as the other just cost less

I looked into SPR Performance, their TBs flow 650cfm, CFMTech's flows 620. CFMtech's is cheaper, though.

I think the SPR is what I'm gonna go with though, thanks for the recommendation!

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked into SPR Performance, their TBs flow 650cfm, CFMTech's flows 620. CFMtech's is cheaper, though.

I think the SPR is what I'm gonna go with though, thanks for the recommendation!
No problem, nice guy to deal with too

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Im doing the same thing. Using an Edelbrock 2116 manifold and a Camaro LT1 cam. Save yourself some money and just use these springs.

http://www.alexsparts.com/valve-spring-kit-sb-chevy-vortec-hi-perf-hyd-roller/