Has anyone swapped an 8.1 L into a GMT400?????????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
01-02 HD is the new body and style with other changes
Try Wikipedia.

While all other C/K pickup models were dropped by 2000, the C3500 HD was produced until 2002 due to fleet demand. In the brochures it is referred to as Sierra Classic/Silverado Classic. There were two engine choices; The 8.1L Vortec Big Block replaced the Gen VI 7.4L Vortec Big Block and the venerable 6.5L Turbo Diesel.

In my opinion the 4L60E would be a poor choice.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Try Wikipedia.

While all other C/K pickup models were dropped by 2000, the C3500 HD was produced until 2002 due to fleet demand. In the brochures it is referred to as Sierra Classic/Silverado Classic. There were two engine choices; The 8.1L Vortec Big Block replaced the Gen VI 7.4L Vortec Big Block and the venerable 6.5L Turbo Diesel.

In my opinion the 4L60E would be a poor choice.
Someone did already set him straight a few replies back but I like the picture method :gr_grin:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

496BBC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone did already set him straight a few replies back but I like the picture method :gr_grin:

Richard

Richcard those were the pictures I found also, is that the 0411 computer on the fender?

496BBC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked into the swap myself but it's pointless really. I thought it'd be a good swap and it'd be different. But the 8.1L is really just a bigger version of the 454. The heads are supposed to be better and everything uses metric bolts. In what world are you living in that an 8.1L is easier to come by than a 454? I decided against the swap. I'm flat broke anyways and it's just not worth the cost.

The local pick and pull yard has 2 8.1's with no 7.4's to be had local. looking on craigslist there are no 7.4's anywhere close to me. The local salvage yard quoted $1000 for motor and access with 2 trucks to pick from. I didn't ask year on the trucks but plan to run by and check them out. Now that yawl have pointed out that I need to look for an 01 / 02 C3500HD to pick from I need to see if that's what they have, really need the high mounted AC compressor.

496BBC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insisting on using light duty transmission to allow continued use of light duty transfer case = this swap has failed before it started.

Richard

The 4L60E can be built to handle the 8.1 for around $1500 with 2 year unlimited millage warranty which from what I can find is less then the cost of replacing it with a 80e and HD transfer case.

I'm running one of their 200's behind a 496 in a 77 vette with around 700 HP and 700 TQ with Drag radials and a 6-link suspension with no issues, it's been in the car for over two years with no issues. They seem to no what they are doing when it comes to building transmissions for sever service.

I'm not against the 80e and HD transfer case but if it can be done with current parts then that to me seems to be the easier way.

Neal

I think I read that the 3500-HD only came in 2 wheel drive trucks, will the newer style T-case work in the GMT400 platform?

496BBC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard, from the pic's it looks like the GMT400 cruise control unit above the booster is being used,

I thought I had read that the only way the 8.1 came was with electronic throttle but could be converted to cable.

any input?

Neal

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The GMT400 3500HD only came out of the the factory as 2wd but some conversion companies made some 4wd. Another note, these trucks are nothing like the 800 and 900 platform 3500HD. The GMT400 3500HD is comparable to an F550.
Finding one with an 8.1L for parts won't be easy either. I'd look for an 800 truck and piece it together.

496BBC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been able to locate some wiring harnesses for around $70 to $100 so that may be covered

I'm doing the 0411 PCM swap so if the 3500-HD did came with this PCM the transition should be fairly straight forward

I'll contact the guy I got the o411 PCM and see if he has wiring info for the 8.1

I need to get by the local salvage yard and see what year the 2 trucks are that the 8.1's are in to know if the brackets are the ones i'll need.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
OK, can you explain your point?

seriously about what?
About you want to use your stock transmission so you can yuse your stock transfercase. That makes zero sense.