Has anyone swapped an 8.1 L into a GMT400?????????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

496BBC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've searched the web and find some info on someone starting the swap but never any info on the complete swap start to finish.

I'm looking at either the 7.4 or 8.1 (8.1's are easier to come by) for my 96 K1500.

Doing the 0411 swap right now then on to the engine,

Want to keep it stock and want the install to look as stock as possible with dependability primary concern.

Neal

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
There is a very small niche performance crowd for the 8.1. I believe hotrod magazine did a build on it, and made 540 rwtq on a mild n/a build. It's a torque n monster, but it is very uncommon.

Edit: It was 700hp/700tq at the crank, and they used raylar performance for the parts.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
General Motors did it. The 01-02 3500hd is still a 400 platform and that was the big block.

496BBC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wanting to keep it stock and factory looking when the hood is open.

01-02 HD is the new body and style with other changes

best i can tell the kodiak and topkick (I think is what I've found) were the GMT400 style with I-beam front axle. the wiring harness, air intake along with other under hood parts should work on my truck but things like will the 4l60e bolt up to the 8.1? I've read that a set of BBC headers will resolve the frame interference issues that come with the stock manifolds. I also found that I should use the acces brackets form a g-van with the high mount ac compressor.

was hopping to hear from someone that has done this swap

Neal

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
wanting to keep it stock and factory looking when the hood is open.

01-02 HD is the new body and style with other changes

best i can tell the kodiak and topkick (I think is what I've found) were the GMT400 style with I-beam front axle. the wiring harness, air intake along with other under hood parts should work on my truck but things like will the 4l60e bolt up to the 8.1? I've read that a set of BBC headers will resolve the frame interference issues that come with the stock manifolds. I also found that I should use the acces brackets form a g-van with the high mount ac compressor.

was hopping to hear from someone that has done this swap

Neal

You're wrong about the 01-02 hds they are gmt400s. And why would you even think about putting a 60e behind an 8.1??

496BBC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've searched 2001 chevy 3500-HD and all I get is the straight I=beam front axle trucks not the dually as I was thinking it would be. The body is still the GMT400 so the wiring harness and access should work in my truck. It looks as if the 3500-HD uses the 0411 PCM from the picks I can find.

The info I can find on the net indicates that the T-case from the K1500 will not work with the 4l80e, so for what i want to use the truck for the 4l60e can be built to hold up. Leave TQ management in place and it should be fine.

Thanks Neal

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked into the swap myself but it's pointless really. I thought it'd be a good swap and it'd be different. But the 8.1L is really just a bigger version of the 454. The heads are supposed to be better and everything uses metric bolts. In what world are you living in that an 8.1L is easier to come by than a 454? I decided against the swap. I'm flat broke anyways and it's just not worth the cost.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Insisting on using light duty transmission to allow continued use of light duty transfer case = this swap has failed before it started.

Richard

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I've searched 2001 chevy 3500-HD and all I get is the straight I=beam front axle trucks not the dually as I was thinking it would be. The body is still the GMT400 so the wiring harness and access should work in my truck. It looks as if the 3500-HD uses the 0411 PCM from the picks I can find.

The info I can find on the net indicates that the T-case from the K1500 will not work with the 4l80e, so for what i want to use the truck for the 4l60e can be built to hold up. Leave TQ management in place and it should be fine.

Thanks Neal
seriously? Lol