Hard to start after it rains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 Silverado with a 5.7 350. It's hard to start after it rains rather it's the same day or day after. If it's 2 days or more after (not starting that whole time) it starts up fine. I can get it started, but I have to floor the gas and then let the ignition go back to the "on" position and it barely starts with a hard stumble. If I don't touch the gas it just turns over and doesn't even try to start. Once it starts it sounds and acts fine while idling. Once I start to drive it a little it will stumble like there's an ignition problem, but after 2 or 3 miles roughly it stops.

I want to assume it might be something with the distributer, but not sure. I just figure something is getting wet and then dries after driving a little. I had the whole distributer replaced about a year or 2 ago. I did take the cap off and everything looked fine and put it back on tight. I probably should have taken the rotor off to, but didn't. I also made sure all of the spark plug wires on both ends were on good.

Any ideas? Thanks

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the whole thing replaced a year or 2 ago. Which is the distributor itself, the rotor, cap and camshaft sensor. I'll try a new cap and see how it does.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sounds like you're getting moisture up in under the cap when humidity is high.

What happens is it sneaks in around the cap if it doesn't seal just right, then condenses on the inner surface and allows the spark to either drain away or jump where is shouldn't. After a day or so it vents and is like nothing was ever wrong.

OEM spec cap is usually best. AC Delco and such......as long as that hasn't gone overseas lately like everything else.....

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put the new cap on. They didn't have AC Delco, but ended up getting an Accel which was the same price as the AC Delco. They said Accel was better than AC Delco and hope they're right.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I just put the new cap on. They didn't have AC Delco, but ended up getting an Accel which was the same price as the AC Delco. They said Accel was better than AC Delco and hope they're right.

Well, they kind of led you astray.

But it should be fine for a while if nothing else.

I think I've had more problems with accel junk than I've had with any other aftermarket ignition parts.

Used to be when a vehicle came into the shop with the "8.8" yellow wires on it and a running problem the first thing we went after was metering the wires. Just about every time the resistance was too high per length or they were flat out broken in the center conductor.

They may have been good once upon a time, but not anymore.

It's an all too common theme these days with what were once big names. Production goes overseas to sweat shops to maximize profits and quality drops off the radar...

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Typical idiots at a parts store.

Well, they kind of led you astray.

But it should be fine for a while if nothing else.

I think I've had more problems with accel junk than I've had with any other aftermarket ignition parts.

Used to be when a vehicle came into the shop with the "8.8" yellow wires on it and a running problem the first thing we went after was metering the wires. Just about every time the resistance was too high per length or they were flat out broken in the center conductor.

They may have been good once upon a time, but not anymore.

It's an all too common theme these days with what were once big names. Production goes overseas to sweat shops to maximize profits and quality drops off the radar...

Well I hate being lied to. I don't know why they didn't just order the AC Delco. I even asked about 2 or 3 times and it's like I didn't even say anything. It looked like a newer one to. What I'm going to do since I don't want to buy another one within a year is order an Ac Delco from Summit (cheapest I could find) and put the old one back on and take the Accel back tomorrow. Just tell them it didn't fix the problem lol.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Don't tell them that, they won't take it back as a used part. Tell them it was wrong and you had to get one else where to get the truck running.

Also check the wires for arching, I've had them last a month and as long as 10 years. Moisture in the coil wire and your looking at the 4th of July under the hood.

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't tell them that, they won't take it back as a used part. Tell them it was wrong and you had to get one else where to get the truck running.

Also check the wires for arching, I've had them last a month and as long as 10 years. Moisture in the coil wire and your looking at the 4th of July under the hood.

I'll tell them that the truck didn't act right and got another cap somewhere else.