Hard steering to the left 1998 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate406

Reaction score
I am having an issue with the steering on my truck. It’s only when I turn left (the steering wheel locks up when I attempt to turn left and with enough force it will eventually give out and turn). Turning right is normal. I checked the power steering fluid and it appears to be normal and has enough in it. What could be the cause?

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What vehicle? RWD or 4WD?

Start with a visual inspection of the steering components. Check for excessive amounts of play where the tie rods connect to the knuckle, where they connect to the center link, the idler arm, and the Pitman arm.

Also take a look in the area around the upper and lower ball joints on both sides. See if the ends of the control arms are interfering with movement of the knuckle

Nate406

Reaction score
It’s 1998 k1500 z71 4 wheel drive. I just had the idler arm replaced. I’m gonna try to give it all a better look this afternoon when the temps warm up a bit.

Last edited: