haha made my truck diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLoud

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
170k for 2500 bucks? I know diesels last for a long ass time but I'd be worried about it if it were me plus who knows how good the trans is..

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i ran into a predicument...found a guy 40 miles away that has a 98 5.9 with 170k miles, with trans, wiring harness and pcm for 2500

go for the 5.9 if you pull alot, or want a lot of power, if you want millage go with the 4bt

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Either get a 12 valve, 24 valve from a 99-02, or a brand new 24 valve, 03-07 i believe wasnt as good

texasrebel88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn bro I'm jealous. I would love to put a duramax/cummins in my truck.

dude its actually a cheap swap.. not as much as i was thinking it would be.. i did fine a 06 dmax with a allison with 30k miles on it for 5k but idk about all that

go for the 5.9 if you pull alot, or want a lot of power, if you want millage go with the 4bt

yeah either way i look at it, i will get more than 2x mpgs i get now.. soo right now if everything goes smoothly when i go check out the 5.9, thats what im going to pick up

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a dmax would bepretty hard, it would be a lot of wiring, a lot of modification due to how big it is and it would be really crowed under the hood

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either get a 12 valve, 24 valve from a 99-02, or a brand new 24 valve, 03-07 i believe wasnt as good

actually, 03-07 are really good motors, 6.7s arent near as good as 5.9s, the 03-07s manage to be really strong running motors, and they were before all the emission crap

texasrebel88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually, 03-07 are really good motors, 6.7s arent near as good as 5.9s, the 03-07s manage to be really strong running motors, and they were before all the emission crap

i agree with u all the way, my pops had a 04 cummins and that thing was built like a rock! and it freakin RANN like a ***** ape, but im kinda on a budget soo ya lol

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I've learned a tad but am pretty much in the dark when it comes to diesels. All I know is the power and mileage is unthinkable. So for our trucks, a old Cummins would work best rather than swapping one of GM's own Duramax's? I'd love to keep everything GM but a cummins is top of the line also.

Also wondering about transmissions....can't re-use the 4l60e, or probly wouldn't want to right? How cheap is this swap compared to say an LS swap?

I definitely am interested and anything is possible but I think when I boiled it all down, I would have to look @ the cost vs. the coolness factor of both a cummins/duramax OR a 5.3 LS motor. A cummins/duramax would be SOOO cool though, and talk about reliability. My TBI is extremely reliable but the diesel is like double to reliability.

Last edited: