haha made my truck diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's funny you use the word RAM, because the damn thing doesn't say DODGE on it anywhere.

Haha yeah supposedly they are their own brand now... and Dodge probably would've shut down a hell of a lot faster without cummins to promote their HD line

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
the 12 valve engine is for sure better then the diesels built back in the 90s by gm, unless your talking about milage, the rest of the truck... no way, everyone that has mid to late 90s dodge know as one point their dash will be cracked so bad the dash will fall to pieces, nothing will stay together, those trucks were junk besides the engine, heck, dodge insides are terrible, or atleast all of them that i have been in, very cheaply made for sure

This was even true into the 2000's....I had an 03 with a defrost vent that fell apart when a book slid down against, I think that continued until either 05 or 06 when they fixed it and then offered a recall on all models back to the first year that had the problems(i dont remember the earliest)....I didnt find out about the recall until it expired, and they wanted shittons of money for the replacement post-recall.

As for the OP, here's something you can do if ya wanna roll coal. Throw a turbo on a non-turbo engine and keep the non-turbo fuel pump, don't upgrade to the turbo pump.....you'll still have power....but damn you'll create the fog of black death upon slight acceleration. It'll look like the black smoke version of a ford tempo with no oil rings. I've got an old cummins transplant that will do that when I lock the dump valve shut.....it fills the 500sq-ft shop full of black smoke in about 10sec it seems.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ah, yeah, when my 6.5 finally blows itself up, gonna throw that cummins in there. Not too familiar with the newer engines, which size(as in liter or CI) are you gonna use in that ford?

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5.9l... In my long list of future projects, I would love to put a 6.7l CR Cummins into a late '70s supercab dually ford

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I really like that body style....my fave besides the early 50's is the late-60's with the swept fenders. This cummins is a 250hp, I'll have to move radiator 2" forward and run pusher electric fans.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like that body style....my fave besides the early 50's is the late-60's with the swept fenders. This cummins is a 250hp, I'll have to move radiator 2" forward and run pusher electric fans.
Nice! and a benefit to the Cummins is they can put down good power for cheap, and if you're going to be doing any type of towing I would steer clear of E-fans, they can't keep the engine cool enough compared to mechanical type... Just a suggestion

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, I found an aftermarket short-nose water pump that'll let me use the stock outer belt groove on the 3-groove pulley, the only problem is even if I installed a flex fan without it's spacer, it would be terribly close to where the radiator would be. I've already got a dry-sump kit for the engine, that bigass oil pan would NOT have fit in a gmt400.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I found an aftermarket short-nose water pump that'll let me use the stock outer belt groove on the 3-groove pulley, the only problem is even if I installed a flex fan without it's spacer, it would be terribly close to where the radiator would be. I've already got a dry-sump kit for the engine, that bigass oil pan would NOT have fit in a gmt400.

In order to clearance the radiator more, most people go caveman style, take a BFH and bash the hell outta the firewall... Not the most sophisticated answer, but hey it works!