Grounding aluminum radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I'm going to get an aluminum radiator from alumarad to replace the bad one in my 91 1500 I was wondering do you need to ground the rad to prevent electrolysis? And what is the proper way to do it? Any input would be great. Thanks.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nope.

OEM rads are aluminum with plastic tanks. No issues.

Use a good quality coolant and you're golden.

Make sure you rubber mount it to prevent vibration cracks/damage.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope.

OEM rads are aluminum with plastic tanks. No issues.

Use a good quality coolant and you're golden.

Make sure you rubber mount it to prevent vibration cracks/damage.

Yea but when the entire rad is aluminum like the tanks and fins would that change things?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yea but when the entire rad is aluminum like the tanks and fins would that change things?

Nope.

Modern rads are aluminum tubes and fins. Tanks are plastic only because it's cheaper/easier to manufacture.

Quality antifreeze that's rated for aluminum (all modern ones are) and you're good to go...

gnrl

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea what great white said. Usually the radiator sits in the rubber "c" shaped cup things. Tanks shouldn't touch any steel, weather they are plastic or alum.

There is no way to "ground" it to prevent electrolsys. Any time you mix metals or alloys that have an electrode potential, electrolsys will happen. You're best off isolating it, like the factory did with the rubber C shaped seats and let it float.