Grinding clutch? And a few more questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

so I want to preface by saying that I do not know very much transmissions, so I may have a few dumb questions. As well as my truck is buried in snow but I can provide more info in the spring. Anyways, after a bit of battling a bunch of mud, I noticed when I got back on the road the clutch on my truck was acting differently, so I'm assuming I've worn the clutch right out. It doesn't slip, but the clutch engages at the very top of letting the pedal out and every so often (not every time) it will grind as I accelerate then the grind noise will go away once I'm at speed and is non existent when changing gears. In talking to my uncle I figure the grinding could come from me holding the clutch in for too long making the fluid cycle through for that duration that I'm sitting there with the clutch held in, but I could be wrong.

also
What transmission is the 5 speed standard that came with the '88 trucks?

Thanks!

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
Could need adjustment, but I'm not sure if you can adjust a hydraulic clutch, I've only ever adjusted a manual clutch on a semi truck
The newer ones have NV4500 transmissions, but I'm not sure if the older ones are different

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a similar problem right after putting my truck through some deep mud. It ended up being the throw out bearing. The mud must have packed deep in there and it ended up tearingn itself all to shreds. The clutch became very screwy and seemed like a burnt it out. Mine didn't really grind as much as squealed...really loud. My clutch was fine though but I did need a new pressure plate.

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
Went and talked with my grandparents today and found out that it is the ORIGINAL factory clutch in that truck, so probably worth pulling it out and checking/replacing it haha.

Thanks guys!

Ill update this thread when I get around to servicing it.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
How many miles on that bad boy? My cousin burned up his factory clutch on a 95 he had at 220k miles

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
Might want to look at maybe getting a new clutch then haha