Got my '88 back! After 8 years of separation!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
I want that '88 back regardless of condition. If it's still alive.
...And so it is!!!

This is the truck that started it all for me when I bought it new back in July of 1988. Over the course of the next 15 years, as the sport truck scene grew and embraced the then new GM trucks, it sported a few different looks, those can be seen here: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?812-My-history-with-the-GMT400-platform
Anyway, back around 2003 I had to sell her because at the time it was my wife’s daily driver, and with the news of her being pregnant…Well we needed a back seat, so the decision was made to let the ’88 go. I sold it to a close friend (and former roommate) who I knew would take care of it like it should have, as he worked in the auto repair business. I only asked that he gave me right of first refusal when he was ready to sell. That day came a couple years later, but unfortunately I could not justify having it at the time so I told him to let her go.

The only thing I knew was that it was sold to someone in New Jersey.
A couple of years go by, and my brother has a couple of sightings of it while working in the area, he says its sporting Autozone stick on graphics all over it. :looking: All along I said to myself: I want that truck back, regardless of its condition. If it’s still alive, and hasn’t been CFC’d.
So last week, a buddy of mine, who lived next door to me at the time, and seen its transitions throughout the years, sends me an email. A day goes by and texts me, and says: did you check your email? Texts me again: Yo!!!...you better check your email!! Turns out, it’s a link to Craigslist. it’s my old truck for sale in Paterson New Jersey. Amazingly the truck was pretty much as I sold it, I call the guy, He tells me what he’s done to it.

As the story goes, when he bought it, it was basically abandoned, heard about it sitting in a driveway not running, with flat tires. Seems as though the previous owner was gone due to “citizenship issues”. He bought it from his girlfriend, got it running again, and roadworthy so he could make home depot runs and renovate his house. So…Now he’s looking to sell, or trade for a ’78-’87 El Camino. This is how my friend randomly came across his CL ad.
Last night I went and looked at her, found her pretty much as I sold her to my friend Larry back around ’03.Took it for a test drive, struck a deal for $1900 and drove her back home last night.

You must be registered for see images attach

The paint that was peeling when I sold it was done in by the 1 1/2" tape stripe that was layed over it by someone.

The headliner I did back in '95 is still there...

The door pods I made still there.

:think::whyme:

You can still see the adhesive from the "graphics" on the hood.

Umm...Yeah.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Ok, where did you get that grille? Looks stock, but without the mounts for the logo? Do they sell any inserts like that, so I could keep mine? Don't have the money to get another one painted.

Glad you got it back. Looks a little rough, but not too bad, all things considered. What are your plans for it?

RPMGraphics

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's AWESOME!!!!! there was a guy on showtruckscene a while back that sold his truck for like $14,000 then bought it back a few years later in the same condition for like $4000. kind of like leasing it out for a few years, LOL!!!

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
shame it got all molested, but its awesome you at least have the truck now. you gunna do a full restore?

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Ok, where did you get that grille? Looks stock, but without the mounts for the logo? Do they sell any inserts like that, so I could keep mine? Don't have the money to get another one painted.

Glad you got it back. Looks a little rough, but not too bad, all things considered. What are your plans for it?

It's just a billet insert painted black.

shame it got all molested, but its awesome you at least have the truck now. you gunna do a full restore?

I would like to restore it back to original fleetside, basically stock appearing, but lowered with larger steel wheels, 383 stroker, and a six speed.

But thats a long way off. At this point I just wanted it back in my driveway.

Last edited:

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely an amazing story but I'll never have one like it. No way I could actually sell, BUT I'm sure you got more $ for it back in the day.

What's terrible is that mexican getting a hold of the engine...I notice the utmost random little things he painted that just looks terrible...I mean look at the front pulley was halfway painted. He didn't remove anything LOL just started spray bombing under the hood :nono: The rust on top of the lid is not a good sign either but at least it's back in your hands now. What are the plans?