Goodwrench engine price variations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RATFOOD

Reaction score
Im about to buy a new goodwrench stock crate engine for my 90 c1500. The old model #12568758. Jegs and Summit are almost the same price with free shipping (~$1710 to $1735), PacePerformance sells the same engine for $1890. They have the same part numbers so they appear to be the same engine. Is there any reason that the Pace engine would be worth the extra $150?

I'm buying this engine because I need a cheap, reliable engine for my truck that I primarily use for work. I don't have the time or money to get the vortec one and try to learn how to tune it correctly. THanks folks!

jcal73

Reaction score
I bought mine from Jeggs. They all should be GM performance so I can only think that some charge more than others.

Hope that helps.
Jeff

senja

Reaction score
Let me see if I can confuse you a little bit. GM Performance Parts, I think, used to be a product line sold by the dealers. GMPP is what you bought if you were building a hot rod and wanted a special engine. GMPP included "performance" parts, cam shafts, fueler heads, high horsepower engines and parts. You could buy a duel quad set-up for your '57 chevrolet with a corvette motor and you would be buying GMPP items. On the other hand, GM Goodwrench was a replacement engine. Stock, just as it came from the factory.
I'm looking in the Jegs catalog and I see engine P/N XXXX8758. This is the standard replacement engine for your truck and year model. On the other hand, you could spend more money and buy a GMPP ZZ350, or a GMPP 350 fast burn engine. Those are non-standard engines. They would require a little modifying to accept your TBI system and all the sensors, etc. In my '88 GMC truck, I'm on my third engine! And the second P/N XXXX8758. The first replace engine lasted 34K miles, and the Chevrolet dealer replaced it for free.
Getting back to your question of where to buy. I've bought a lot of stuff from Jeggs and they've been great. I've ordered the wrong part number, and they replace no-questions. I bought a set of AFR aluminum cylinder heads, which are made in Calif. where I live. But because I bought them in different state, Ohio, I didn't have to pay sales tax. For buying a crate motor, Jeggs is cheaper than your local Chevrolet dealer. Just make sure you have some way to off-load it from the delivery truck. A forklift?
If I bought another engine, I'd look around for something a little more powerful. But you still have to use your TBI system. How about a "long" block from Blueprint? A 383 from BluePrint? They have a lot more engines than just what you see in the catalog. Jeggs will sell you anything made anywhere. You find what you want, and they will get it for you. Hope this helps.

RATFOOD

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Senja. I started to read about the hotter engines but I just don't have the time right now to try and figure out the tuning and sensors, etc. I have work, school, and 3 children in sports, so I know if I started down that road I wouldn't ever finish. Right now I'm going cheap, easy, and reliable. I did look at the blueprint web page though and they have some interesting builds. Thanks for all the info. You got me wondering about the shipping though because my friends auto shop I was going to send it to doesn't have a forklift. You think they could unload it with a cherry-picker? Maybe I need to send it somewhere else and tote it to his shop. i'll have to ask around...