GMT 800 turbo kit for a Gmt400 help please!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poondart

Reaction score
Hello fellow Gmt400 fam!

I am looking to turbo a 98 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with a 2002 5.3 lm7 swapped into it, as well as a 6” BDS lift kit. If I had my own shop and tools and time I would piece it together myself. I don’t. So, I am instead looking for a kit that might take just a few modifications or none at all. I would prefer bolt on of course.
My concern is if I buy this 99-2007 kit(the one in the link). How much stuff will not be able to be used, or how much of it will have to be modified.
I can’t seem to find a kit for the gmt400’s. Yet, there are plenty of kits for 99-2007 trucks. I was wondering about the turbo kits for sale for the Gmt800’s(99-2007). Would anyone be able to tell me what would and wouldn’t work on these kits if applied to a Gmt400? Or what would need to be modified. Or if y’all know of a good kit that would fit with a Gmt400 and a 5.3 lm7.

Any help and recommendations would be much obliged.

below is a link to the gmt800 kit I have my eye on.
https://www.on3performance.com/shop/1999-07-chevygmc-15002500-truck-turbo-system/

Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello fellow Gmt400 fam!

I am looking to turbo a 98 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with a 2002 5.3 lm7 swapped into it, as well as a 6” BDS lift kit. If I had my own shop and tools and time I would piece it together myself. I don’t. So, I am instead looking for a kit that might take just a few modifications or none at all. I would prefer bolt on of course.
I can’t seem to find a kit for the gmt400’s. Yet, there are plenty of kits for 99-2007 trucks. I was wondering about the turbo kits for sale for the Gmt800’s(99-2007). Would anyone be able to tell me what would and wouldn’t work on these kits if applied to a Gmt400? Or what would need to be modified. Or if y’all know of a good kit that would fit with a Gmt400 and a 5.3 lm7.
Any help and recommendations would be much obliged.

below is a link to the gmt800 kit I have my eye on.
https://www.on3performance.com/shop/1999-07-chevygmc-15002500-truck-turbo-system/
That's a pretty specific application. You're best bet is to go for one that matches the engine that's in your truck and make the necessary modifications to make it fit in the 400 engine bay.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Poondart

Reaction score
That's a pretty specific application. You're best bet is to go for one that matches the engine that's in your truck and make the necessary modifications to make it fit in the 400 engine bay.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Roger, that would be the kit I linked at the bottom of the OP.
I just don’t want to buy a full kit if I have to modify too many pieces of it, or if pieces of it are not even able to be used. Just trying to avoid piecing it together myself as that is but time consuming, but would if too many pieces of these 99-2007 kits wouldn’t be practical. Figured some of the pros on here might know the differences or be able to direct me to threads addressing them.
Thanks for commenting!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem with a kit like that is the fact that turbo intercoolers weren't offered in any of the diesel GMT 400 trucks. There's just not much real estate between the condenser, trans cooler, and grille
Now, where there's a will, there's a way. But not for cheap, and not without reinventing the wheel.
So plan on mucho $$ in attempts, or accept losing the intercooler.

Or mount it ugly... in front of the bumper/grille

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save yourself the headache of piecing together a kit and just buy one. Even if you have to modify a GMT 800 kit you'll still be money and time ahead. The intercooler mounting as mentioned and the exhaust routing will probably be your major hurdles, a cowl hood will help you with clearance issues. Check out CX Racing for kits.

I've not put a turbo on a OBS, but having put a kit I pieced together on my bike, I would absolutely not do it that way again.

Poondart

Reaction score
The problem with a kit like that is the fact that turbo intercoolers weren't offered in any of the diesel GMT 400 trucks. There's just not much real estate between the condenser, trans cooler, and grille
Now, where there's a will, there's a way. But not for cheap, and not without reinventing the wheel.
So plan on mucho $$ in attempts, or accept losing the intercooler.

Or mount it ugly... in front of the bumper/grille

Save yourself the headache of piecing together a kit and just buy one. Even if you have to modify a GMT 800 kit you'll still be money and time ahead. The intercooler mounting as mentioned and the exhaust routing will probably be your major hurdles, a cowl hood will help you with clearance issues. Check out CX Racing for kits.

I've not put a turbo on a OBS, but having put a kit I pieced together on my bike, I would absolutely not do it that way again.

Thanks for the info fellas! I will definitely keep it in mind.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I fully understand asking on this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here. There are also a lot of knowledgeable people at On3 Performance that can say without a doubt what will/won't work and what can be done. It's their livelihood. And their passion.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On3 is great, and the intercooler can be mounted creatively if you have to. Top mount with a cowl hood, for example.