Gm crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So i have a 97 sierra with the black box. If I would buy a crate motor that has more hp and torque. WOuld I have to do anything to my black box? Or would it be better then to just get a 0411? Any help would be great because I am trying to figure out my best option. Because people that I know that have some motor experience, they say that I can't upgrade my vortec too much because of the spider injection. I mean I'm not looking for a race truck. Just more hp. I was thinking headers, cai,port and polish heads, and throttle body spacer. But like I will say I don't really know that much about motors, because I am merely going off of what I have read other places. So any ideas once again would be great. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
The benefit of the 0411 swap is that it allows you to tune the motor more efficiently/easier.
If you do the swap be sure that you have (the person that flashes a tune) knows you have engine mods and he'll flash accordingly.

-Truckin'-

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So from your own experience, should I just rebuild my motor? Or buy a crate motor. Also what could I really do to my vortec without messing up the spider injection?

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the compression and leak down are good, no need in rebuilding the motor. Your best gains are going to come from making the engine breathe and exhale more, as well as using a robust ECU for it all. So, a bigger cam (with head work to support it since Vortec heads are lift limited), free flowing exhaust (headers, pipes, cat's), upgraded spider injection if you still have the poppet system, and an 411 ECU with a good tune to bring it all together. This will stay in the limits of the stock fuel system and net you somewhere around 50hp and about the same for torque. It will also keep you emission compliant visually, with a sniff test, and trouble code free.

If you are going to rebuild and stick with the L31, do the above, but also make the stroker out of it and bump it to a 383.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason of thinking of getting a new motor is because i have 167000 and the motor knocks when it is cold

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I heard,AC delco oil filters are garbage, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in

Sent from my 6.0 powered android

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
from what ive seen in the last 2 maybe 3 years the ac filters went from top of the line to chineese garbage i wouldnt put on my lawnmower. look at the oil thread with the oil and filter coparrisons link there.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason of thinking of getting a new motor is because i have 167000 and the motor knocks when it is cold

Sounds like (no pun intended) piston slap. You might be able to drive it like this for a while, but it sounds like she'll need a rebuild in the future. Luckily you have a lot of choices and just need to figure out what you'd want with your budget in mind.