Ghost Brake Fluid!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's not going into the cab, or into the booster. That would drain the REAR half of the master cylinder reservoir, connected to the rear front brakes.
Fair enough :) I was mostly just sharing for benefit of anyone that might not suspect a leak at the rear of the master cylinder for disappearing fluid, unless they saw an external leak. I've noticed some that will leak down between the m/c and booster which is very obvious since it eats the paint off the booster. In this case there was no external evidence whatsoever, so I was surprised when I pulled the m/c and found it had literally filled the booster up. What a freakin' mess.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Recent work at home for an American Legion member friend. 85 F150 had spongy brakes. I saw the flaking/wet paint at front of booster below the master cylinder mount area. Guy said must be a leak somewhere because he had gone thru close to a gallon of brake fluid over a 3 month period. I knew right away what was wrong. I pulled back the rubber floor mat under the d/s dash and was soaked. I shot pics of the whole scene and repair. He said, "yea, I had been smelling something inside the cab". It was a mess but easy to fix and also did a new brake light switch while apart. The master cylinder was full of rusty goo. I recommended calipers and wheel cylinders and lines and hoses. Have not heard from him yet.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Recent work at home for an American Legion member friend. 85 F150 had spongy brakes. I saw the flaking/wet paint at front of booster below the master cylinder mount area. Guy said must be a leak somewhere because he had gone thru close to a gallon of brake fluid over a 3 month period. I knew right away what was wrong. I pulled back the rubber floor mat under the d/s dash and was soaked. I shot pics of the whole scene and repair. He said, "yea, I had been smelling something inside the cab". It was a mess but easy to fix and also did a new brake light switch while apart. The master cylinder was full of rusty goo. I recommended calipers and wheel cylinders and lines and hoses. Have not heard from him yet.

Eww, I had that happen in a car, but it was the clutch master. It eventually ate the carpet from the backside.