Gearing????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canada RCSB Mike

OBS is what I like!!
Reaction score
I know you all have probably answered this question many times, but I`m gonna ask anyway!!!
I pulled my rear cover to see what my gears were. They turned out to be 3:73 gears G80 and I wanna install 35"(315/75/16) tires.
Now, should I stay with the orginal gears or should I upgrade? I will be do quite a bit of offroading, but all lot of highway also.
Is there a tread that explains how the different gears affect different tires and speed?

Cheers

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Take a look at this chart (don't mind the lines as I put those there for another member), when you regear your trying to return your truck back to stock like performance, it lowers your top speed which means instead of being able to do 115 you top out at 108 (rough estimate). There's a lot of guys on 37s and 4.88s running at comfortable RPMs at highway speeds so don't let that concern especially when your not going to big. The biggest concern with your rearend is the G80, IMO when your regear, to 4.56s preferably, put in a tru-trac.

On the chart...
  • Yellow means better fuel economy
  • Green is stock like gearing
  • Red is better suited to offroad conditions

You must be registered for see images attach