GEARHEADZ - I need cam advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, officially recognized as LT4 hot cam....but a cam grinder would know wutcha meant by LT1 hot cam....it's a hot cam for the LT1 engines, LT1/LT4 Hot Cam swap....google that and you'll see what it's all about.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Sounds a lot better with that cam on it. Thanks for all the help guys! I'm looking around quick for more info on the swap...I take it that an LT1 is the stock cam. (I'm new, but learning quickly, thanks to all of you vets on here.)

http://store.gmperformanceparts.com...c roller (LT4 hot cam) &model=<!--24502586-->

Link for this info ^

Part # 24502586
Hydraulic roller (LT4 hot cam), (1.5 rocker)

Duration @ .050 Lift (deg): I: 218, E: 228
Maximum Lift (in) w/1.5 rocker: I: .492, E: .492
Lobe Centerlline (deg): 112
Technical Notes: Service only. For all V-8 engines with roller cams.
ABOUT THE LT4 CAMSHAFT: The LT4 camshaft P/N 24502586 was designed to be used in many different engines. The following change may be necessary for correct engine assembly: For LT1 and L98 engines (pre-1996) the dowel pin in the end of the camshaft must be pushed in so extension from end of cam is .30+/- .01. For 1996 LT1 and LT4 engines, the dowel pin is in the correct position extending .620 from the end of the camshaft. This cam has a fuel pump lobe.

Since you said I'm running 1.5 rockers and my lift max is .470, will I have to machine my heads to fit this in there, or if I change out my springs and stuff will I gain enough clearance? Again, thank you for listening to a complete idiot. :rocking:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.470 is the max for a stock spring setup iirc. I would swap them just for some extra room. Much more lift than that an your going to need some machine work on the guides/spring seat....

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
.470 is the max for a stock spring setup iirc. I would swap them just for some extra room. Much more lift than that an your going to need some machine work on the guides/spring seat....

So, if I'm understanding this right, I can fit in that LT4 Hot Cam with a .492 as long as I swap out my springs? (don't worry, I don't think I'm going to be going any higher than that.)

So, after I swap out the cam, springs, retainers and lifters, is there anything else that I would need to do? Will it run on stock computer settings until I get it retuned? Or should I tune it first? Do I need to advance the degrees? (I'm not sure what that means exactly, but some other guys were talking about how they had to do that.)

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Springs and retainers and it will fit. But it has to be those specific retainers because they are thinner or something to give extra clearance. (I think Crane Cams makes another spring/retainer kit that does the same thing but its more expensive) You should probably have the tuned computer ready for when you put the cam in, otherwise it will run like crap with the stock tune. As for getting it degreed, im not to sure about that part :shrug:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if I'm understanding this right, I can fit in that LT4 Hot Cam with a .492 as long as I swap out my springs? (don't worry, I don't think I'm going to be going any higher than that.)

So, after I swap out the cam, springs, retainers and lifters, is there anything else that I would need to do? Will it run on stock computer settings until I get it retuned? Or should I tune it first? Do I need to advance the degrees? (I'm not sure what that means exactly, but some other guys were talking about how they had to do that.)

Idk about that, I read your post wrong an was thinking you were only gonna run .470 on the lift. At .492 I think your going to need machine work or your valve seals are gonna hate life, but I can't remember for sure...

No you won't advance the cam any, it is completely computer controlled so it won't like you if you do that....

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
What i've done with all valve seal heads, is swap-in the old umbrella seals, retainers, and machine O-ring groove into valves. You can also have the valves shot-peened for extra oiling. With the older O-ring type oiling system, your max lift is .500"

The LT1 is actually a name of an engine, technically it's the LT1 Generation-II(2). Let me check that cam you found a little more carefully, because you have to make sure they used a standard blank(has mechanical pump operation and no water pump attachment), versus the earlier hot cams that were based on a reground LT camshaft with no mechanical pump setup and attachment to run water pump off cam.