gear ratio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiftedK1500

Reaction score
I havent been on in a long time... last time i asked about a gear ratio that would be good for my truck. I have a 97 k1500 silverado stepside. I think it has a 3.42 ratio in it right now.. im not sure but it is stock, what would be the best ratio to run so i can drive it daily but also take it to the track and race? any help is appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

LiftedK1500

Reaction score
i have a 4l60e as well. dont take my word for the current gear ratio i have not checked in the longest time. would 4.11 work? thats what i have heard from some people.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
There are a lot of ratios that would 'work', but that all depends on your goals, end use and finances.

Going too deep will hurt economy and 'waste' power. Not to mention, with a 4L60E, first gear will be basically useless if the final drive ratio is too low.

If you can't do any work and farm it out to a shop, you are going to be spending a pile of money. The least expensive route would be to find a matching front and rear differential set and swap them both out at the same time.

Installing ring and pinion sets in your truck can be done, but a differential swap is going to be much less labor intensive, and the need for specialized skill is nil.

superj

Reaction score
3.73 is a good gear for a bit larger tires. I think around 33" you want to start looking for 4.11 or 4.10, whatever comes in these.
And if you just want to smoke tires and be quicker to the next light both of those ratios work, also