Gave the 97 a face lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found some NOS Genuine GM headlights, turn signals and side markers for a very good price. LED all around. I need to finish my 4 Hi redo as well as pickup a couple more 2057 amber leds. Now if I can only find a NOS GM Grille.

You must be registered for see images attach

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Found some NOS Genuine GM headlights, turn signals and side markers for a very good price. LED all around. I need to finish my 4 Hi redo as well as pickup a couple more 2057 amber leds. Now if I can only find a NOS GM Grille.

It's funny how that stuff turns up! I surf ebay a lot and when people will finally decide a part is bringing enough they will sell it

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's funny how that stuff turns up! I surf ebay a lot and when people will finally decide a part is bringing enough they will sell it
Always good to dig out the GM part number and search a couple times a week when you are trying to source a discontinued, NOS part.

That being said 1 step forward, 2 steps back. My ~3 week old TYC radiators core exploded last night. I had the van running and notice a puddle forming, by the time I checked the hose connections it turned into a water fall of coolant. Also discovered a missing seal that has vanished that seals the evaporator outlet pipe to the ac box. My guess is it blew apart and fell out sometme after the ac rebuild. Found a massive cold air leak into the engine compartment.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That being said 1 step forward, 2 steps back. My ~3 week old TYC radiators core exploded last night. I had the van running and notice a puddle forming, by the time I checked the hose connections it turned into a water fall of coolant.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been really happy with my TYC.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. I've been really happy with my TYC.
I am really shocked it did that. One of the tubes actually split open in the core. On the plus side the thing is practically road trip ready once I get a replacement radiator.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a spare headlight harness and the 4 HI mod is now done with ZERO harness modifications. A plug and play operation. I checked and the two low beam LEDs draw just over 2 amps. ~5 amps total on the high beam circuit from the dimmer switch is less than the one stock 65w 9005 incandescent.

Actually ALL the running lights with dual high beam burning is under 5a. Only missing two 2057NA LED bulbs from how it will go down the road. Brake lights and turn signals will add a small amount more.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spoke too soon, going to have to add a 10a diode to low beam power wire because it latches the relay on high beams only until the headlight switch is cycled. Easy enough to fix.

As for the radiatpr, I can see microsplits in the tubes that make the core. It literally popped the tubes. They look super thin compared to most I have seen.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
As for the radiatpr, I can see microsplits in the tubes that make the core. It literally popped the tubes. They look super thin compared to most I have seen.

Are the splits straight, like a seam, or jagged/random? Tube material is like a giant roll of tape..... imagine a roll of packaging tape 4 or 5 feet in diameter. It gets run through a 16? foot machine that basically rolls/bends it into a tube and cuts it to length.

My first thought would be a fluxing/brazing issue, but that's the area I worked, so I've seen the fragility of those operations up close. Tube mills were nearby, but I never directly worked in that area.

The tube seems get sealed during the brazing process along with the core plates and fins.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually do not resort to Ebay for a radiator, but it is tough to find a ~2" core for a van. The 34x17x2" core 454/8.1 van radiator has been on intergalactic backorder for months.

Last edited: