Gague Cluster or Dash Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PapaGrune

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 95 Chevy 3/4 ton extender cab ton ... I am looking for a 88-94 C1500 single cab. short bed truck... What Gauge Cluster or even dash will fit? I like the Earlier Dash but don't like the weird gauge setup (moonieyes?)

If I end up keeping my 95 I could use some of it in the earlier version I am trying to find.. I had one before. A V6 with a 5 speed, but the flow master exhaust was too loud... caused a drone in the cab...

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only 88-91 have the moonie gauges, and -some- 91's have needle gauges but they're a little uncommon. 92-94 are regular needle gauges, some with tachometer, and if you get one without a tach it's a drop-in replacement to put a tach cluster in there.

So the simple thing is, just look for a 92-94 to buy. If you just find a screaming deal on a nice 88-91, you can put a 92-94 cluster in it, though it is a bit of work. Physically it's the same size and shape, but electrically it is very different.

There's no making the 95-up cluster fit the 88-94 dash without a lot of pain and likely some customizing in questionable taste. :)

Richard

JimboSlice

Reaction score
Would a cluster from a k1500 work in a c1500? Same year 91

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Would a cluster from a k1500 work in a c1500? Same year 91
Yep, with some gotchas:

If they're the needle style gauges with tach (somewhat uncommon in '91 but exists) if you want the tach to work right it'll need to be from a donor with same # of cylinders. V8 for V8, V6 for V6.

The speedometer calibration is done inside the cluster on 88-91. So unless the donor truck has the same rear axle ratio and factory tire size as the recipient, your speedo will be off. How much will depend on both the factors I mentioned. You can recalibrate it - there's a factory kit out there that is tricky to find, but you can also skip that and make it configurable with a DIP switch. I did a write-up on this: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/258562

Be sure the donor truck is a '91 (10th digit M in the VIN) - it's a "one year only" direct swap on the cluster. One from an 88-90 will plug in as well, but you need to move 3 wires around in the harness connector for it to work properly. Clusters from 92-94 can be used but it's a lot more work, mostly wiring and the addition of the DRAC module (speed sensor buffer, which is built into the 88-91 cluster but not 92-94.)

Richard

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am finding this now when going from a 88 cluster to a 99 caddy cluster. 88 processes the speedo internally the 99 relies on the ECU to do it. realized it when I was doing a harness build. ( am keeping the TBI in this one.) by research I believe I need a DRAC unit to drive the later cluster and cruise unit.

correct?