G80 to locker or posi/lsd questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So as everyone knows, G80 lockers kind of suck and mine has stopped locking up especially when needed, i drive snowy mountain roads in the cascades quite often and i need to get a new carrier before this season hits, cause its gonna hit hard. I need recommendations for a good locker or positrac carrier thats runs roughly 500 or less prefferably as i have to buy tires this year as well. Thanks guys! Oh its a 14 bolt SF as well.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The $500 or less is the hard part here. In my opinion this is a no brainer. Budget a little more and get an Eaton Detroit Locker or Eaton TrueTrac, depending on how you want the truck to behave. TrueTrac would probably be a little bit easier to handle in the snow on pavement, but if you off-road at all I'd go with the Detroit Locker due to it's ability to lock even with one wheel off the ground.

Reaction score
The $500 or less is the hard part here. In my opinion this is a no brainer. Budget a little more and get an Eaton Detroit Locker or Eaton TrueTrac, depending on how you want the truck to behave. TrueTrac would probably be a little bit easier to handle in the snow on pavement, but if you off-road at all I'd go with the Detroit Locker due to it's ability to lock even with one wheel off the ground.
Perfect. Thanks for your insight. I dont really off road it hard enough to get a wheel off the ground but something that locks up relativley easy would be nice. Im finally investing in a snowmobile for the deep snow this year so i wont need to take my truck as far to have some fun but i know for a fact that these get stuck so much easier without a locker. Thank you man i appreciate it!

Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks for your insight. I dont really off road it hard enough to get a wheel off the ground but something that locks up relativley easy would be nice. Im finally investing in a snowmobile for the deep snow this year so i wont need to take my truck as far to have some fun but i know for a fact that these get stuck so much easier without a locker. Thank you man i appreciate it!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I love Truetracs. I will say though, if you try to climb any sort of slippery incline with one in 2wd, it wants to just kick sideways like crazy, but in 4 wheel it turns the truck into a tank.

Reaction score
I love Truetracs. I will say though, if you try to climb any sort of slippery incline with one in 2wd, it wants to just kick sideways like crazy, but in 4 wheel it turns the truck into a tank.
I Always have my truck in 4wd whenever i go offroad cause it seems to help smooth out bumpy roads and my g80 would do that same thing when it worked. After checking out prices and function on eatons site i think im gonna opt for a trutrac, it seems to suit my needs a little better.

Reaction score
Here is a great source for gears and differentials. Cheap and free shipping.

http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/gm-8-5-8-6-2/

Summit is a little cheaper with the trutrac.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-913a481/applications?prefilter=1
Thanks man, ive been looking at the one on summit for some time now. Still dont quite have the side cash for one yet. That and for some reason when im in 4wd the rear end binds up as if it were locked, and stays that way for a short amount of time when i go back to 2wd so im not terribly concerned at the moment as i wont have time to really make good use of a new locker this year.