Funky smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've noticed this on my truck a couple of times now and I always forget to ask. I notice a funky smell coming from my truck anytime I drive it hard aka full throttle up a hill or trying to roast the tires from a stop which is damn near impossible with this 305. Do you guys have any ideas on what could be causing this? It's like a sulfur stink type odor. Tonight it actually came into the cab where as most times I can just smell it when I get out of the vehicle. The truck has had a full tune up within 2000 miles including new plugs, new wires, new cap and rotor. I also replaced the exhaust from the y pipe back including a new catalytic converter. Is my truck running too rich or too lean and causing this odor? I'm hoping somone knows what this could be cause i'm kind of at a loss.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would run a bottle of seafoam and see if that helps if it doesn't decide if you want to gut or replace you converters

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
i would run a bottle of seafoam and see if that helps if it doesn't decide if you want to gut or replace you converters

If you do run that ****, don't put it directly in your vacuum line straight to the intake, unless you want to blow an intake gasket on that old of an engine.

If it's a 305 vortec, definitely don't pour it in the vacuum hose!

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do run that ****, don't put it directly in your vacuum line straight to the intake, unless you want to blow an intake gasket on that old of an engine.

If it's a 305 vortec, definitely don't pour it in the vacuum hose!

You should be fine I ran it through mine with 284k miles about a month ago and i didnt hurt mine. And thats about the 3rd time But never put it in the crankcase with high mileage

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay let me clarify a few things. First off the catalytic converter is brand new... like less than 2,000 miles on it. Secondly I do have the 305v8 but it's not a vortec. I did seafoam it once before and it did blow lots of smoke maybe I should do it again. Also the sulfur smell almost seems to be emanating from the engine area. Too be honest I probably should investigate it a little more but it's 9F out right now so I don't want to crawling around looking for things. I really don't think it's my converter though cause like I said it's brand new.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Check your brakes, maybe you have a stuck caliper piston and your pad is constantly rubbing on the rotor, the easiest way to do it is, drive the truck, park it and get out, stick your index finger tip on the rotor for a second, then go to the other one, touch your middle finger tip on that rotor, look at the sizzling skin on your finger tips and determine if one of them is so hot it burned you really damn bad. That's what I did.

My moms 97 had a stuck caliper, you couldn't even tell until you got out and it smelled horrid.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Already had that issue with this truck and replaced both calipers. This smell only emits when I go WOT for more than a couple seconds

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 96 had that kinda smell too, like an old boat outboard firing up. normal to me. chalked it up to age and hi flowing exhaust. i had aftermarket hi flows.

sounded like a boat at idle too with those true dual 28" glasspacks.