Fuel Sender/Gas Gauge Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 98 Z71 that is having issues with the fuel sender. I've had the truck for a year and the gas gauge has been stuck on empty. I pulled the cluster and checked the gauge. It is fine. Today I pulled the bed and started checking things. I noticed someone had already replaced the pump and done the harness upgrade, albeit very shoddily. I took the harness apart, soldered and shrink wrapped the connections. I plugged the harness back and no joy. I then pulled the fuel pump/sender assembly. It was very clean and came out with no issues. I plugged the harness back in and manually moved the float arm. The gas gauge now moved with the float arm. I reinstalled the assembly and the gauge was back to being pegged at empty. I even pulled the actual float arm and put it in a container of gas to verify the float actually floated. Assembly out, gauge works great; assembly in, nothing. I even used a flashlight to peer into the tank with the assembly in the tank, but not pushed down to verify the arm wasn't hung up. I am stumped! Anyone encountered this before? Thanks in advance for any advice y'all have.

Texcuda

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the gauge is now working.....no clue, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to work.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I'd guess either the connector was oxidized and plugging and unplugging it cleaned off enough oxidation to get it working again or you have a break in the wire somewhere and moving it got it conducting again. Let's hope it was the connector.