Fuel pump probs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I've been having fuel pump problems. Twice recently I've gotten close to home after driving 45+ minutes from work and my truck suddenly begins to sputter then dies. The truck coasts to the side of the road then won't restart for 10-15 minutes, and begins to run fine again. It's done this in the past maybe once a month, now it was two days in a row (last week). The second time it was over 20 minutes before it would restart. Then on the way home there was an engine code. I checked the codes and I had "15" & "44".

15: low coolant temp (think I have a bad pigtail)
44: low fuel pressure

Tell me if this makes sense but it seems to me like the electric motor in my fuel pump overheats then runs again after cooling, I don't know. Just can't figure out why it would sputter/die after running fine for 45+ minutes at 65-70mph, then restart and run fine again after sitting for abt 15 minutes. Similar situations on consecutive days.
:think:

Onto second problem: This weekend I replaced the fuel pump with a new Delphi HP10000, and new fuel filter. After removing the old fuel pump and old fuel filter I used compressed air to blow out the fuel line from the tank to the fitting for the fuel filter, don't know why I did, seemed like a good idea at the time. Got everything back together and fired it up. The truck idled fine for a few minutes then I set off to drive around the neighborhood. I got around the corner from the house and it sputtered/died. Wouldn't start for a half hour, turned over, no start. The fuel pressure regulator was replaced less than a year ago. It finally fired up and ran great. No trouble codes/check engine light. I have absolutely no idea why it would have done that. Would the air in the line between the new pump & new filter have caused a problem?

I'm going to look into it more tomorrow, maybe drive it a little more. Any suggestions are appreciated.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
bump - Still open for suggestions. Also, I'm wondering what are the general symptoms for coolant leak into the intake and if what I have are similar.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Code 15 is usually a bad coolant temp sensor or wiring issue. Code 44 is actually an O2 sensor code, indicating a lean exhaust mixture in closed loop. Your truck doesn't have any way to read fuel pressure. I would replace the temp sensor and pigtail (if you haven't already) and see what happens.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Code 15 is usually a bad coolant temp sensor or wiring issue. Code 44 is actually an O2 sensor code, indicating a lean exhaust mixture in closed loop. Your truck doesn't have any way to read fuel pressure. I would replace the temp sensor and pigtail (if you haven't already) and see what happens.

Yea, the coolant sensor pigtail has exposed wiring and is bent at odd angles. I've been ignoring that code until I repair the pigtail. The sensor was replaced abt a year ago so I'm sure it's good.

I'm thinking the 44 code is a result of low fuel pressure. And I'm thinking my stall issues are due to coolant leak in the intake, which I'm repairing right now.