fuel pump pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

primal1

Reaction score
will the fuel pump build pressure with little to no gas in the tank. i was running low on gas and now my truck (99 tahoe) wont start. i cycled the key a few times to kick the fuel pump on and off but nothing. i hit the schraiter valve and just a little hiss. so im not getting fuel. with no gas in the tank, will it build pressure? what terminal on the pump relay will kick on the pump.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Depends on exactly how much gas is in the tank. With only a couple of gallons spread out over bottom of the tank it will still build pressure, but it has to work much harder in doing so. I don't know what the magic number is though.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure, but I would definitely check your ground. Also, open your fuse box and check where the fuel pump relay is. Check the wire that's connected to the relay. I've heard of the wires getting corroded and causes the fuel pump to work intermittently, or not at all.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Not sure bout a 99 but on my 92 the power lead from the relay to the pump is grey. I run a jumper from the batt to the grey wire when I check fuel pressure.