Fuel Pump On Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebmrust

Reaction score
Has anyone put a “fuel pump” indicator light in a dash? (1999 GMC suburban)

I’d rather have a fuel pressure gauge, but until that happens I thought maybe an indicator light.

BUT just because the power goes to the pump doesn’t mean it’s actually operating/pumping fuel.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just because the pump is on doesnt mean your pressure is correct.

How about a Hobb switch and a LED indicator?

Orr
a fuel pressure guage

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sort of.
I have an AFR (air fuel ratio) gauge which takes its power feed from the pump signal wire between the ECU and the relay. If that signal fails, no AFR gauge. Otherwise, if the gauge is working, there is at least power leaving the ECU for the relay.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No point in halfway doing it. Might as well go ahead and get the gauge and be done?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since mines not a race truck, I don’t see the need for real time fuel pressure data. It’s easy enough to check.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would the fuel pressure gauge do for you? Do you often have fuel pressure problems? I just want to understand why that would be something to moniter instead of say engine oil temp, or transmission temp. If the engine doesn't run one of the basics is fuel fuel pressure check. I'm just curious about installing a high pressure light ( normal ). Or a light when no or too low pressure ( abnormal) . I've never thought about it.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fuel system is designed to be a relatively constant system in a naturally aspirated engine. The pump is either delivering enough fuel or it needs to be replaced; in either case a schrader valve on the rail is adequate for diagnostic purposes. Fuel pressure gauges are more useful in boosted applications where you need to make sure your fuel pressure rises with your boost or you'll go lean and blow it all up.