Fuel pump ground work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chefman43223

Reaction score
In the process of taking off the original grounds, I found this from the previous owner. I am aware the original strap went from the truck bed to the fuel neck originally in these trucks, how would you go about this here to ensure this ground works properly since the fuel neck has a hose section on it? I was thinking to sand down the surface better where the ground is currently at, any other ideas/suggestions?
You must be registered for see images attach

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ground on the filler neck is not for the fuel pump. The one you have pictured looks like it is for the fuel pump, yes? Originally that was on the top of the frame, but PO moved it like you said.

I’d clean all that up, get rid of the crimp joint at minimum (or replace with a new one, inspect the wire, then heat shrink over top of it), and then put it in the OE spot with a slather of electrical grease. If it’s hanging there you’re just asking for it to get caught on a minor object and then you’ll have a dead truck.

Chefman43223

Reaction score
The ground on the filler neck is not for the fuel pump. The one you have pictured looks like it is for the fuel pump, yes? Originally that was on the top of the frame, but PO moved it like you said.

I’d clean all that up, get rid of the crimp joint at minimum (or replace with a new one, inspect the wire, then heat shrink over top of it), and then put it in the OE spot with a slather of electrical grease. If it’s hanging there you’re just asking for it to get caught on a minor object and then you’ll have a dead truck.
Yeah it's the pump ground, pump works just fine, but like you said take the ounce of prevention and run the fuel pump ground to the truck bed bolt in location. Thanks!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see the filler neck ground, if it isn’t there, I’d replace that too.

Chefman43223

Reaction score
I don’t see the filler neck ground, if it isn’t there, I’d replace that too.
Is the filler neck ground still effective to put in place even if the filler neck has a main rubber supply hose from the PO when they replaced the fuel pump?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They all have rubber after the filler neck. But the ground on the filler neck is grounded to a bed rail. Not sure if I’m understanding.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump ground - goes to frame.
Fuel filler neck ground - goes to bed rail.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can jerry rig a strap that’s broken off of the filler neck, I did that until I replaced it while doing a bed off fuel pump change.