fuel guage not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95_bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
just bought a 99 suburban and the fuel guage started moving randomly. Then the next day the fuel pump went out. Today i picked it up with the new pump and the gas gauge reads empty, went to the gas station and put in 30 and still empty. The guage is not responding, any thoughts? Can someone please help me with advice or what to do. Thanks.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Because your sending unit is bad, causing your pump to go bad as well. Your fuel pump will go bad again here in about two days.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys another thing here is GM had a dirty secrete with there fuel tanks that are killing fuel pumps prematurely. Found this out thru a freind of mine that works at Nappa during one of there company meetings that GM had a almost like plastic coating in the tanks that is breaking down with the gas mixture gasoline and causing a gel over the fuel pump screen killing the pumps. I had went thru 3 pumps in three years almost to the day when he told me about it.....Case in point if you change your fuel pump change your tank as well. since I did this problems have stopped now for about 3 years.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. In this situation however, it is his fuel sending unit that is bad.

I'm sure your right but just wanted to give a heads up since he was working on the feul system.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. In this situation however, it is his fuel sending unit that is bad.

Not 100% true,

Its possible that whoever replaced the sending unit knocked the wire off for the float.
To the OP, IMO your fuel pump is not going to go out because your gauge don't work.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Also possible, but I'm willing to bed if he has been driving it daily, he is about to lose another pump.