Fuel Gauge Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Bowtie1106

it's not a lowrider!!!
Reaction score
Today I removed my needles to clear them...I took pics of the gauges before and for some reason the one with the truck started didnt save. Luckily I had exactly half a tank last night so I knew I could get it close. But now when I cut the truck off, the needle doesnt drop like it used to. I went and put 3 gallons of gas in to make sure it was working and it went up like it should. Is this ok? Or is something wrong? I though it was supposed to drop a little atleast. Mine doesnt at all.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine stays put when i shut it off. i cleared mine as well a while ago. but my gas guage never stays put lol that thing is crazy whne i drive

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Mine stays put as well. For example: 1/4 tank when I go to fill up. Shut it off, and it stays there. Fill it up, then when I start it, it goes up, but mine never drops when you shut the engine off.

Be proud, it sounds like you just fixed a problem you didn't know you had, and didn't mean to fix. Half the time, I have trouble fixing things when I KNOW what's wrong. :rofl:

97Bowtie1106

it's not a lowrider!!!
Reaction score
Well I took the truck out for a little drive and put about 30 miles on it. I know I don't get bad gas mileage but the needle never moved lol. So right now I've got it taken apart right now and I went ahead and painted my needles red. Hopefully I'll get this figured put tomorrow. The part that sucks is I don't know where my gas needle should be now that I've driven it.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure that you didn't make the mistake that I did...It drove me nuts and people do this mod without fully understand exactly how to replace the needles. The original "how to" needs to be taken down, because it makes seem like "just put them back where they were in your pic and your good". No. You're not good. What you have to do is install the cluster back into the truck with the glass cover off, needles off. Turn the truck to the ON (crank it) and then place the needles with the cluster in and the truck running...Install them exactly where they were. If you try to just put the needles where they were and then install the cluster, it'll be whack. My gas gauge used to let me go way past empty before I was really out of gas but now, since I've done this, when I hit E I HIT E!! Empty as can be. Not the worst problem, but I may have saved you alot of headache here if you weren't installing it this way. We really need to edit the "how to" thread because it's left alot of people Fkd.

Oh, and the answer your Q my gas gauge also stays I think because our trucks are older and not all digital, they just stay and don't drop like the newer ones.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I find it odd that your needle was dropping in the first place. Mine and seems like everyone elses stays :hmm: I've never seen a 400 that didn't stay. Not the worst problem.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use a live data scanner to position the needles, and fill the gas tank completely up, never had a problem.