front fender ad whel well replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tailpipe51

Suburbanholic
Reaction score
what do i all gotta do to remove my front fenders and wheel wells im gonna be getting some rust free ones from

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Everything that's attached to the inner fenders has to be unbolted. ABS, batteries, reservoirs, hoses, lines, wires, etc.

Then grill, bumper etc. Hood also IIRC.

Then unbolt the inner and out fenders as a unit and toss 'em in the crapper.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hood can stay but the springs parts have to come off. So the hood won't stay up on it's own.

2 bolts in the door jambs per side, 13mm I beleive, the outer wiper cowl ends come off because they screw into the fender, mine did anyways. That linkage/hinge that holds the hood spring bolts on with 1 13mmm head bolt per side.

there's a lower bolt under the fender on each side, I also think there is one on each side at the top near the wiper cowl pieces, I saw holes for some but mine had no bolts.

There is 2 bolt holes, mine only had one bolt per side, down under the front of the fender, goes right into the rad. support, should remove the lower front plastic splash panel, what's called the lower grille filler, to gain access to those, it's the outer grille fillers, not the long center one on bottom of the grille, they have 3 1/4 bolts that hold them on, one in the back and 2 up under going into the fender, kinda hard to see.

Then you can remove the 13mm head bolt from each side lower front fender, then there is also one or 2 inside underhood thru the rad support into the fenders, I know for sure oneper side in the middle but I'm thinking there's a lower one also.

13mm head bolt up top in front, where the flat fender lip lays on top the rad support.

THEN, if you remove the front 3 bolts in the inner fender, that mount it to the rad support down low, and the one in back at the firewall, you may be able to pull the inner and outer fender as one unit.

I had my grille off, it can help but I think you can do it with it on too. bumper can stay too but it may give better access to those lower filler bolts and the lower front fender bolts.

GMC Ranch

Reaction score
good to know, glad I saw this thread, Im gonna replace my ugly dented d/s fender on my 97 Z71, havent bothered yet because Ive been afraid of having to take the truck apart entirely to make it work lol

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
hood can stay but the springs parts have to come off. So the hood won't stay up on it's own.

2 bolts in the door jambs per side, 13mm I beleive, the outer wiper cowl ends come off because they screw into the fender, mine did anyways. That linkage/hinge that holds the hood spring bolts on with 1 13mmm head bolt per side.

there's a lower bolt under the fender on each side, I also think there is one on each side at the top near the wiper cowl pieces, I saw holes for some but mine had no bolts.

There is 2 bolt holes, mine only had one bolt per side, down under the front of the fender, goes right into the rad. support, should remove the lower front plastic splash panel, what's called the lower grille filler, to gain access to those, it's the outer grille fillers, not the long center one on bottom of the grille, they have 3 1/4 bolts that hold them on, one in the back and 2 up under going into the fender, kinda hard to see.

Then you can remove the 13mm head bolt from each side lower front fender, then there is also one or 2 inside underhood thru the rad support into the fenders, I know for sure oneper side in the middle but I'm thinking there's a lower one also.

13mm head bolt up top in front, where the flat fender lip lays on top the rad support.

THEN, if you remove the front 3 bolts in the inner fender, that mount it to the rad support down low, and the one in back at the firewall, you may be able to pull the inner and outer fender as one unit.

I had my grille off, it can help but I think you can do it with it on too. bumper can stay too but it may give better access to those lower filler bolts and the lower front fender bolts.
Bumper can stay on. I can testify that it is possible to remove the inner and outer fenders as one unit. I went to a local Pick N' Pull and found a truck with pristine, rust-free fenders (like finding the holy grail in the Northeast rust belt - surely these were not the originals). I was not able to remove the inner fenders, because the clip nuts holding the inner fender to the outer fender had rusted, and the nut would just spin with the bolt. So, I had to remove both pieces, bolted together, from the truck. When I got home, I used a cutting torch to (carefully) cut the bolt heads off, and finished them off with a grinder, to separate the two pieces. The inner fenders were somewhat rotted, so I just scrapped those.