Front Diff.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the front differential supported by anything more than the CV axles? Why I'm asking is I was going to dismantle my entire front end to replace all wearable parts and pull the front CVs, but not if the diff. is just going to fall into the housing. :uhoh2:

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
The c/v's bolt to a flange. to replace them simply unbolt from the flange and pull out from the hub, or however your taking it apart. Moog parts are a good replacement for pretty well everything. Make sure to replace the Idler arm bracket and not just the arm.. usually the arms last longer than the brackets. UCA, LCA and sway bar bushings are also a good thing to replace if your doing everything else.

If your wondering about pulling the stubs that go into the front diff along with the cv's i'm sure someone else will chime in on the proper way to go about it. I havent had any problem with mine. and my passengers side has a decent ammount of play too.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great thanks! This is my first Chevy/GMC 4x4, so I was honestly not sure on how the front diff comes together, or did I really get under there and look.

Yup got a big order from Rock Auto with everything for the front except the steering gear box and center link. I went cheap thought and ordered mostly Mivotech (sp?) parts. Fingers crossed that it will all align right, but I don't see why not being that it has 4 adjustable tie rods. This is not my daily driver either, or will it be driven on much more than a fire road. It's a long box, extra cab that will spend majority of it's time hauling motorcycles to the track, or to the woods.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
you shouldnt have a problem with allignment, if your doing it yourself or taking it to a track these trucks arent too bad to get going straight. if you have the front end cranked up though you'll wear through parts in enough time. But I like you put cheaper parts on my front end. Moog is even more expensive here then down there and i put mabye 15000k on my truck a year.

Got any pics of the truck? we like pics here.

your front end should be like new again.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The height is stock and I'm keeping it that way. It's hard enough to idle a track bike up the ramp into the truck and out again with a 2WD, let alone 4WD.

I'll do all the work myself except for the alignment. I can get it pretty close, but would rather have a shop get it spot on, it will definitely pay for itself down the road.

Hey who doesn't like pictures right?! I've only got these two. It's a '96 GMC with a 5.7 and 245000 on the clock. It purrs and has plenty of power, especially since it has 3.42 gears in it, shifts great and looks pretty darn good from 10-yards away, everything works on it and interior is rip free, and clean. Not too shabby for 2,300. I got it to replace my '93 Nissan Hardbody. Great truck, but it can barely haul one motorcycle with all of my track gear.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach