Front CV Alxe tight after torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malones99

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I replaced my fron CV axle, seal, and upper and lower ball joints. I have tightened the CV nut to the 165 lbs spec, not the hub is VERY tight, I can hardly turn by hand. Is this normal?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
No it's not normal. The hub should spin fairly easy, unless the front differential is locked.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year truck? 1500,2500 or 3500

EDIT: forget it i thought the torque was lower than that but that's s-10s

Sent from somewhere in MN

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If trying to spin the hub with nothing more than the hub itself the running friction is fairly high. But that's most just to get it started.

Reason being is when you spin the hub, you're also spinning the CV joints, axle shafts and some components in the center differential.

With the tire/wheel installed, spinning the assembly is much easier.

The only real thing you can bugger up is the unit wheel bearing assembly, and you would have had to hammer on it or similar to damage it. Torquing the axle nut down won't jam it up. It's not built like a traditional cup and cone type bearing where you can overtighten it easily. see the diagram below:

You must be registered for see images

As you can see, the torque comes down on the center housing on the 4x4 model. The bearings run in a separate portion and are not subject to the fastening torque. The center housing merely provides an inner surface for the inner races to be pressed on to at the factory.

But you should be able to spin the hub by hand, it's just not super easy....

Last edited: