Frame Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm probably going to be taking off my bed tomorrow to change my fuel pump and I thought It would be a good opportunity to do something to my frame rails.

What is the best product to use. I've heard a little about stuff called POR 15. Is it any good? I've also heard/thought of DIY bedliner, Clean it up and rattle can it, I've heard of some sort of tar mixture that supposedly works good. Any suggestions?

I don't think my rails are bad rusty but IIRC they do have some (mostly superficial?) rust. I don't really want to go all out but I thought it would be a good opportunity to give them a little protection while it's fairly easy access.

PS. Hopefully I posted this in the right place. I couldn't quite decide where to put it.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didnt have that great of luck with the POR-15 on my truck, after a year it looked like crap again. In my experiences some good cleaning with a wire wheel on a grinder and some black spray bomb has close to same results but much less price tag.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got my fuel pump changed this evening and the truck is sitting with the bed off. I'm debating on whether or not to do anything to the frame. It seems like the perfect opportunity to do something but at the same time the truck is 14 years old and there's only superficial rust. I can't find any rust on there that has or will compromise the strength for at least 14 more years.

I found out that there's a place here in town that sells the stuff that draggin posted so I think I'm going to go hit them up tomorrow and see what they've got in stock.
I went by Home depot and bought some "Rust Reformer" and some "undercoating" but it cost me $20 for 2 cans of each and I think for only slightly more I can get the KBS stuff. The KBS stuff is also a brush on which means less masking work.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been suggested to me, that you grind down the rust to a fairly smooth surface, put POR15 on in a few coats, and then DIY bedline it... POR is a rust preventor, but, just like paint, chips easily