Found a truck with 6 lug PY0 prototype wheels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So I was wasting time on instagram last night and found a truck with the 6 lug PY0 style proto-type wheels that cannot be very common.

You must be registered for see images attach

I asked the kid where he got them, he said his shop teacher got them from a GM dealership and just gave them to him. I know these were never mass produced by GM so I thought I'd share. I would imagine there cannot be more than 100 sets of these, in fact I would be willing to bet there probably isn't more than 50 of them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The kid had no clue how rare they were, in fact I probably should've kept my mouth shut, but I figured he knew.

I'm not a 1/2 ton guy, but pretty cool I thought!

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
A lot of you guys really like these wheels, and I can appreciate that, so to see a 6 lug set definitely has some cool factor. I just don't know why GM makes so many 5 "spoke" wheels for 6 lug or 8 lug setups. Maybe I stand alone in the concept that "spoke" count should match lug count.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
The crazy thing... someone at a GM dealer GAVE them to this kids shop teacher, who GAVE them to him. 3 people who had no clue of their rarity or value!

I just found it on instagram. After inquiring with the kid, nice kid, but had no clue what he stumbled across.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Wow! Thats awesome.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I remember looking on CL a while back and seeing a Tahoe with 6-lug PYOs, I wish I would've asked about the wheels.
Anyone else think they'd look better with the center cap on them instead of it being the one-piece hub cover?

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I think a 6 lug center cap would look great on them. I'm not sure if there is a flush place to mount a center cap on them though, I believe the center cap is molded into the wheel.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I think a 6 lug center cap would look great on them. I'm not sure if there is a flush place to mount a center cap on them though, I believe the center cap is molded into the wheel.

That's what it looks like, and I was thinking if they made them like the 6-lug steelies, you could run the center-cap,
Has no aftermarket rim maker or rim maker in general not thought of these? I'd buy a set in a heartbeat!

Silvio Iacuone

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone seen anymore of these? I saw a set for sale and thought they were custom, I didn't realize they were actually GM produced.

The crazy thing... someone at a GM dealer GAVE them to this kids shop teacher, who GAVE them to him.

GM often gives prototypes and unsellable vehicles and items to schools for learning aids, fire departments for training and Hollywood for stunts, etc, usually under the condition they won't be transferred or used on the road.